Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Water Withdrawal Permit Program: Other DEC Permits and Determinations

Additional Permits?

Your project may require additional permits under other DEC permit programs.

For example, Freshwater Wetlands permits are required for work in areas designated on the freshwater wetlands maps. Freshwater wetlands may be adjacent water resources regulated by the Water Withdrawal Program. If a permit to fill in navigable water is required by the Army Corps of Engineers, then a DEC 401 Water Quality certification will be needed.

Unsure? Contact the Department

If you are not sure whether your project requires more than one permit, contact the DEC regional office for the county where the project is located. If the project requires more than one permit, check all the pertinent boxes at the top of the application submitted.

All the materials required for each permit should be submitted simultaneously so the project can be reviewed as a whole. Review of your project may not commence until these materials are submitted.


Your Project or Activity Will Require a Determination Under The State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQR).

State Historic Preservation Act (SHPA)

If a project may have a significant impact on historical structures or archaeological sites protected by the State Historic Preservation Act (SHPA), DEC must evaluate this impact. If your application is for a major project, the packet should include a Structural and Archaeological Assessment form (SAAF). Please fill out this form according to the instructions attached to it. In some cases, a cultural resource survey, including a fields study of archaeological or historic features may be needed.

  • Contact for this Page
    4th Floor
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-1750
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions