Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Tidal Wetlands Permit Program: Other DEC Permits and Determinations

Additional Permits?

Your Project or activity may require additional permits under other DEC programs.

For example, Protection of Waters permits are required for certain activities such as dredging or filling that take place in navigable waters or for activities that may result in disturbance to the bed or banks of protected streams. If the activity will require a permit from the Corps of Engineers, then a Section 401 Water Quality Certification by DEC may also be needed.

Freshwater Wetlands permits are required for areas designated on the freshwater wetlands maps. In many cases, these areas are near tidal wetlands, and their adjacent areas may overlap. Coastal Erosion Hazard Area permits are required along sensitive shorelines in structural hazard areas or natural protective feature areas, which are indicated on Coastal Erosion Hazard Area Maps.

Unsure? Contact the Department!

If you are not sure whether your project requires more than one permit, contact the Regional Permit Administrator for the county where the project is located.

Submit all materials required for all permit applications at the same time to allow simultaneous review of the entire project. Project review may not commence until these materials are received.

State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQR)

Your Project or Activity Will Require a Determination Under The State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQR).

State Historic Preservation Act (SHPA)

In accordance with the State Historic Preservation Act (SHPA), DEC must evaluate whether or not a project may have an impact on historical structures or archaeological sites. If your application packet includes a Structural Archaeological Assessment Form (SAAF), please fill out the form according to its instructions. In some cases, a cultural resource survey, including a field study of archaeological or historic features may be needed.

  • Contact for this Page
    Division of Environmental Permits
    4th Floor
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-1750
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions