Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Freshwater Wetlands Permit Program: Other DEC Permits and Determinations

Additional Permits?

Your project or activity may require additional permits under other DEC programs. Examples:

  • Protection of Waters permits are required for certain activities such as:
  • dredging or filling which take place in navigable waters
  • activities which may result in disturbance to the bed or banks of protected streams.
  • If an activity will require a permit from the Corps of Engineers, then a Section 401 Water Quality Certification by DEC may also be needed.
  • If the activity will involve a discharge to ground water, a SPDES permit will be required

Unsure? Contact the Department!

If you are not sure whether your project requires more than one permit, contact the Regional DEC Division of Environmental Permits office for the county where the project is located.

If the project requires more than one permit, check all the pertinent boxes at the top of the application submitted. All the materials required for each permit should be submitted simultaneously so the project can be reviewed as a whole. DEC cannot commence review of your project until these materials are submitted.

State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQR)

Your Project or Activity Will Require a Determination Under The State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQR).

State Historic Preservation Act (SHPA)

In accordance with the State Historic Preservation Act (SHPA), DEC must evaluate whether or not a project may have an impact on historical structures or archaeological sites. If your application packet includes a Structural Archaeological Assessment Form (SAAF), please fill out the form according to its instructions. In some cases, a cultural resource survey, including a field study of archaeological or historic features may be needed.

  • Contact for this Page
    4th Floor
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-1750
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions