Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Recreational Marine Fishing Registry

Enroll in the Registry


No fee.

Valid Registration Dates

Registration is valid for one full year (365 days) from the date you register. There is no lifetime registration.

Who Needs to Register

You need to register if you are 16 and older and are:

  • Fishing for saltwater fish species in the marine and coastal district (view description & map)
  • Fishing for migratory fish of the sea within tidal waters of the Hudson River and its tributaries, or waters of Delaware River or Mohawk River.

You do not need to register if you are:

  • Fishing aboard an appropriately licensed party or charter boat in the marine and coastal district.
  • A New York State licensed party/charter boat owner.
  • A Connecticut or Rhode Island resident and have a valid marine fishing license from your resident state.
  • Fishing for lobsters, crabs, clams, mussels, scallops, or oysters. Review license/permit requirements for these activities below.

Recreational Activities Not Covered by Registration

  • Tuna or shark fishing. This requires a National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) highly migratory species federal permit (link leaves DEC website).
  • Lobstering. This requires a New York State recreational lobster permit ($10), which is available to residents only. For more information, contact the Crustaceans Unit at 631-444-0430.
  • Crabbing. The state does not require a license to recreationally harvest crab; however recreational crab harvest limits and seasons apply.
  • Shellfishing/Clamming. The state does not require a license to recreationally harvest shellfish by non-mechanical means; however, towns may require residents to get a permit before harvesting in town waters. Visit the shellfish harvest limits page for details.

Residents Fishing in Waters Outside New York State

Can I fish the following waters with a New York State marine registration only?
The following information is based on reciprocal agreements between state and federal governments.

Waterbody Yes/No
Federal waters/Exclusive Economic Zone
(Atlantic Ocean beyond three miles from shore)
Connecticut waters
(i.e. Long Island Sound, Block Island Sound)
Rhode Island waters
(i.e. Block Island Sound)
New Jersey waters
(i.e. Raritan Bay, Sandy Hook Bay, Upper Bay, tidal Hudson River)
You must register in New Jersey's Saltwater Recreational Registry Program.
Non-bordering waterbodies
(i.e. marine waterbodies in Massachusetts, Florida, Maryland, etc.)
You must purchase an appropriate fishing license or enroll in a registry from that state.

Nonresidents Fishing in New York State

I have a recreational fishing license/registration from the following state, do I need to enroll in New York State's marine registry?

State Yes/No
Connecticut No
Rhode Island No
New Jersey Yes
Non-bordering waterbody states
(i.e. Massachusetts, Florida, Maryland, etc.)

General Information

Purpose of the Registry

Information from New York's marine registry is incorporated into the National Marine Fisheries Service database of recreational marine anglers. The database helps in efficiently obtaining fishing activity information, which is vital in setting quotas, size and bag limits, and fishing seasons each year.

Other Helpful Resources/Information

More on saltwater fishing in New York State

More about Recreational Marine Fishing Registry:

  • Contact for this Page
  • Division of Marine Resources
    123 Kings Park Blvd.
    (Nissequogue River State Park)
    Kings Park, New York 11754
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions