Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Modified Longbow Authorization

License Details

What This Authorization Allows

Individuals with a permanent or temporary physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) may:

  • Use a longbow, recurve or compound bow that has been equipped with a mechanical device attached to the handle or riser for holding and releasing the bowstring. (Examples: Draw-Loc; Pullin Archery; Bow Pro)
  • Use the modified bow during small game and big game seasons when bowhunting is permitted.

What This Authorization Does Not Allow

Use of crossbows or modified crossbows.

How to Get Authorized for Modified Longbow Use

  • Complete the Modified Longbow Authorization Form (PDF)
    • A licensed physician will need to complete and sign a section of this form.
    • Note: If you have a Modified Archery Permit that is still valid you are already authorized to use a modified longbow and do not need to complete the Modified Longbow Authorization Form.
  • For small game hunting, have a current year NYS hunting license; For big game hunting, have a current year NYS hunting license and bowhunting privilege.
  • Carry the completed Modified Longbow Authorization Form (or previous Modified Archery Permit) and appropriate hunting licenses with you while hunting afield with a modified longbow.
  • Abide by the rules and regulations in the annual New York State Hunting and Trapping Regulations Guide

Laws & Regulations

Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)

Please visit New York State Legislature (leaves DEC website)

  • 11-0901(15) Prohibitions

New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)

Contact Information

DEC Special Licenses Unit
625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233
(518) 402-8985

Other Related or Similar Licenses/Permits

DEC also issues the following licenses for hunters with a disability:

  • Modified Crossbow Permit - authorizes individuals with a permanent physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) to use a crossbow equipped with a breath-tube apparatus for releasing the bowstring.
  • Non-Ambulatory Hunter License - authorizes individuals with a physical disability (verified by a licensed physician) to hunt with a firearm from a motorized vehicle during hunting seasons.
  • Motorized Access Program for People with Disabilities (MAPPWD) - provides access to certain state lands administered by DEC to qualified people with disabilities (verified by a licensed physician).
  • PDF Help
  • For help with PDFs on this page, please call 518-402-8985.
  • Contact for this Page
  • NYSDEC Fish and Wildlife
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-4752
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions