Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

State Land Access Permits

For Long Island Public Lands Managed by DEC

Seasonal Access Permit

A seasonal access permit is required for all activities on all NYSDEC managed lands on Long Island with the exception of:

  • Forge Pond Fishing Access Site
  • Oyster Bay Western Waterfront Site
  • Moriches Bay Marine Waterway Access Site
  • Mattituck Creek Waterway Access Site

This permit is free and valid for three years. To obtain a seasonal access permit (PDF, 1.4 MB) follow the instructions below. Permit holders must observe regulations for use of NYSDEC managed lands in Suffolk County.


You must use Adobe Reader or Acrobat to complete and submit the application form electronically. A link is available for the free software to be downloaded (link leaves DEC website).

screenshot of the Adobe Reader Install

Most mobile devices allow users to open and view the application form. However, the current generation of Adobe Reader for mobile devices does not allow users to complete our application forms.

If you are using Adobe Reader XI you will be prompted to choose how you would like to send the application. Chose the appropriate type of email and then press the continue button.

If you are using an older version of Reader and use a web based email such as Yahoo, Gmail or AOL, in order to submit the permit; complete the information requested on the form, save the file to your computer's desktop and manually attach the PDF to your email message and send to

PC Based Computer Users (Dell, Acer…)

  1. Right-click on the Region 1 State Land Access Permit PDF under Important Links and select either "save link as" or "save target as" from the short menu and save the document as an icon to your desktop to be easily accessible.
    screenshot of the drop-down menu to save the PDF
  2. Save the file under something you will remember (ex. "My Seasonal Access Permit") and as a PDF file type.
    screenshot of how to save the file
  3. Once saved, right-click on the saved document/icon and it will ask what program you wish to open the file with.
  4. Select the Adobe Reader DC from the list and the form should open up.
    screenshot of the menu for selection of the Adobe Reader
  5. Complete the requested information.
    You only need to fill in the first page. The second page will automatically be filled out.

MAC Users:

  1. Right-click (Windows) or control-click (Mac OS) the link to the PDF file.
  2. Choose the appropriate save or download option for your browser:
    • (Google Chrome) Save Link As
    • (Internet Explorer) Save Target As
    • (Firefox) Save Link As
    • (Safari) Download Linked File
  3. Make sure Adobe Acrobat Document is selected for the file type, rename the file and save the file.
  4. Save the form to your desktop and then open it with the adobe reader.
  5. Complete the requested information.
    You only need to fill in the first page. The second page will automatically be filled out.

After completing the requested information:

  1. Click the Submit by E-mail button.
    NOTE: Do not change the form into a different software program or format (scanning, copy & paste, etc.) before submitting.
  2. You do not need to add an electronic signature

You will receive an e-mail confirming that your permit has been received and submitted correctly. The e-mail may not be immediate as it is not an automated reply.

After e-mailing the permit

  1. Press the Print Form button. This will print both your access permit and your parking permit.
  2. After printing the permits they must be signed.
  3. Use your permit. Once the paper copies are signed, the permits are valid and ready for use.

If you are still not able to fill out the form using Adobe Reader, feel free to print the document and fill it out manually. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN THE FORM IF YOU ARE MAILING IT IN TO US. A signature is only required when you are carrying the permit on DEC Lands and not for when we are processing the form for you.

Please note: If you mail the form into us, we will manually process the form, and will send it back to you in the mail. Processing time is 24 to 48 hours from receipt. Your permit will NEVER be sent to you as an Email attachment. Additional Instructions will be sent in the envelope mailed to you along with your permits (Both Parking Permit and the actual Permit you need to have on you at all times).

Please sign both permits upon receipt and make Additional copies for your usage during the duration of your 3 years. We do not keep hard copies of your permits here and will NOT be able to send you another copy if you lose yours. You will automatically be redirected to print out another copy using the application, so please make your copies.

You DO NOT need to mail a signed copy of your permit to the DEC.

The DEC no longer issues Access Permit Id Cards nor do we issue Parking Permit car placards. A State Land Access permit is needed for anyone over the age of 12 to access DEC managed lands on Long Island. The access permit must be carried at all times while on the property and your Managed Land Parking Permit must be visibly displayed on the dashboard of your vehicle while you are on the property and/or boating ramp facility.

If you have questions regarding the access permit application, please email or call 631-444-0270.

Hunting symbol

Information for Hunters

In addition to the three-year seasonal access permit, a daily access permit is required for all hunting on Rocky Point and Otis Pike Preserve properties during November and December and for deer hunting on all applicable properties during the special January firearm deer season. Consult the public hunting opportunities in Suffolk County web page for information on obtaining hunting permits.

Group/Special Use Permits

Group permits and special use permits are also available for appropriate activities. It is recommended groups seeking these permits apply for them 30 days prior to a planned activity.
To request a group or special use permit, mail a request to:
Forestry, NYSDEC - SUNY at Stony Brook
50 Circle Road
Stony Brook, NY 11790.

Sporting Licenses (Valid Statewide)

To purchase hunting and fishing licenses, individuals may visit: