Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

New York City Reservoir Regulations

The Statewide Angling Regulations apply to species and waters not listed

Special Fishing Regulations for New York City Reservoirs
Reservoir Species Open Season Minimum
Bog Brook
Cross River
Middle Branch
Trout All year 12" 3 Ice fishing permitted
Croton Falls Trout All year 18" 1 Ice fishing permitted
Lake Gilead
Lake Gleneida
Lake Trout All year 21" 3 Ice fishing permitted
Trout All Year Any size 5
Boyd Corners
East Branch
Trout All year 12" 3 Ice fishing permitted
Walleye First Sat in May through March 15 18" 3
West Branch Lake Trout All year 21" 3 Ice fishing permitted
Trout All year 12" 3
Landlocked Salmon All year 18" 1
Kensico Lake Trout All year 18" 3
Trout All year 12" 3
New Croton
Trout All year 12" 3
Rondout Lake Trout April 1 through Nov 30 18" 3
Trout April 1 through Nov 30 12" 3
Ashokan Trout April 1 through Nov 30 12" 3
Walleye First Sat in May through March 15 18" 3
Trout April 1 through Oct 15 12" 3
Neversink Trout April 1 through Oct 15 12" 3
Smelt Smelt fishing prohibited
Pepacton Trout April 1 through Sept 30 15" 2 fish to include
only 1 over 21"

Fishing and Boating on NYC Reservoirs

Almost 400 miles of shoreline are open for fishing on the reservoirs and controlled lakes of the New York City Water Supply. A free New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Public Access Permit is required to fish New York City reservoirs. In addition, all anglers 16 years of age or older must possess a valid New York State fishing license. Access permits are valid for five years before they need to be renewed. For those 16 years of age or older, permits can be obtained online at

Permits can also be obtained by completing an application and mailing to: NYCDEP- Access Permits, 71 Smith Avenue, Kingston, NY 12401. Guest passes are also available for those who would like to accompany an access permit holder onto water supply lands but do not want to obtain their own access permit. Access permit applications can be obtained online or by visiting a DEP office or police precinct, town hall or sports/tackle shop within the watershed. In New York City, applications are available during normal business hours at:

DEP Central Office
96-05 Horace Harding Expressway
Corona, NY
(718) 595-4595

DEP's Bureau of Customer Service
Services in Manhattan
1250 Broadway, 8th Floor
New York, NY
(212) 643-2215

Boating on NYC Reservoirs

In addition to shoreline fishing, boating for the purposes of fishing is allowed on NYC reservoirs to those with the appropriate DEP Access Permits and Boat Tags. Anglers must store their fishing boats at designated storage areas. All boats must be steam cleaned and registered with DEP. Some boat storage areas may be closed to new boats because of overcrowding. After getting a DEP Access Permit, anglers should call the DEP office near the reservoir of interest to inquire about space, steam cleaning and boat tag registration. There is no cost for these services, which must be performed by DEP.

Expanded Recreational Boating Program

NYC DEP allows non-motorized recreational boating with canoes, kayaks, sailboats, and skulls on a day use basis on Cannonsville, Neversink, Pepacton and Schoharie Reservoirs. Recreational boating season currently opens on May 1st and runs through October 31st. To improve access for visitors, several local businesses near the reservoirs rent kayaks and canoes for day use. Information about the recreational boating program can be found by visiting

DEP Offices

Ashokan Reservoir
(845) 657-2663

Schoharie Reservoir
(607) 588-6231

Rondout and Neversink Reservoirs
(845) 334-7152

Cannonsville and Pepacton Reservoirs
(607) 363-7009

East of Hudson Reservoirs
(914) 232-1309

For additional information, contact DEP at: or call 1-800-575-LAND (5263)