Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Fisher and Marten Trapping Seasons

If you take a fisher or marten you must complete a furbearer possession tag and get the pelt or unskinned animal sealed.

A free special permit is required for trapping fisher and/or marten.

For fisher, you can download and print the 2021 Fisher Trapping Permit (PDF). This permit should be carried with you when trapping. If you do not have access to a printer, contact a DEC Regional Wildlife Office to get a permit or e-mail us.

To trap marten, please contact the DEC Region 5 Wildlife Office in Warrensburg at 518-623-1240 to obtain a permit.

Fisher and Marten Trapping Season Dates and Bag Limits

Trapping seasons for Fishers and Martens
Open Season Wildlife Management Units Species
October 25th to December 10th 3A, 3C, 3F, 3G, 3H, 3J, 3K, 3M, 3N, 3P, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4G, 4H, 4J, 4K, 4L, 4P, 4R, 4S, 4T, 4U, 4W, 4Y, 4Z, 5A, 5R, 5S, 5T, 6A, 6C, 6G, 6H, 6K, 6N, 6R and 6S Fisher only
November 1 to November 30 5C, 5F, 5G, 5H, 5J, 6F and 6J Fisher and marten
October 25 to October 30 4F, 4O, 7A, 7M, 7P, 7R, 7S, 8T, 8W, 8X, 8Y, 9J, 9K, 9M, 9N, 9P, 9R, 9S, 9T, 9W, 9X, 9Y Fisher only
Closed All other WMUs --