Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Furbearer Possession Tags & Pelt Seals

Furbearer Possession Tag and Pelt-sealed Fisher
Possession Tag and Pelt-sealed Fisher

A furbearer possession tag and subsequent pelt sealing is required for fisher, marten, otter, and bobcat.

Furbearer Possession Tag

The furbearer possession tag allows you (the taker) to legally possess the pelt, or unskinned animal, until pelt sealing is required.

Where to Get Tags

  • For fisher, marten, otter, and bobcat, you may download and print the Furbearer Possession Tag (PDF).
  • Note: You may record up to 12 harvested animals of the same species (fisher, marten, otter, or bobcat) on one tag.

A supply of tags may also be obtained from DEC's Bureau of Wildlife Offices by:

  • e-mail
  • calling (518) 402-8883
  • or by writing to:

Furbearer Possession Tags
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-4754

Completing the Tag

  • Tag must be completed immediately upon arrival at your mode of travel, camp, or home (whichever occurs first).
  • Record your identification number from your trapping or hunting license.
  • For fisher, marten, otter, and bobcat, you may record up to 12 harvested animals of the same species on one tag.
  • The furbearer possession tag associated with your fisher, marten, otter, or bobcat does not need to be directly attached to the animal. However, it must accompany each pelt or unskinned animal at all times, until it is sealed by DEC staff.

Pelt Sealing

There are a few purposes for pelt sealing fisher, marten, otter, and bobcat species:

  • To allow the pelt to be exported from New York State, sold, or transferred.
  • To record population and biological information that helps in management decisions.
  • To comply with CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species). CITES aims to protect against over-exploitation of species similar in appearance to some of New York's furbearers.

When to Get the Pelt Sealed

The pelt or unskinned animal must have a plastic seal attached before:

  • It may be exported from New York State;
  • It is sold or transferred to another's possession;
  • It is mounted or tanned; or
  • 10 days have passed since the close of the season where the animal was harvested.

How to Get the Pelt Sealed

  • You must have a DEC representative attach plastic seal(s) to the pelt(s) or unskinned carcass of fisher, marten, otter, or bobcat. Contact your local regional wildlife office to make arrangements to get your fisher, marten, otter, or bobcat sealed.
  • Under current permit conditions, the skull or lower jaw of each fisher taken must be submitted at the time of pelt sealing. For marten, the entire carcass of the animal must be presented.
  • The department seal must remain attached to the pelt, or unskinned carcass, until it is processed or prepared for use as an article of clothing or as an item for display.

Temporary Transfer of Pelts

You can give your pelts to another person (other than a taxidermist), so he or she can get the pelts sealed or have them skinned. You must give that person your trapping or hunting license, or a copy of your license and your completed possession tags, while they are in possession of your pelts.

Contact Us

For questions on the possession tag or pelt seal process, please contact the nearest DEC regional wildlife office.