Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

What is a Redemption Center and How Do they Work?

The law defines a redemption center as: any person offering to pay the refund value of an empty beverage container to a redeemer, or any person who contracts with one or more dealers or distributors to collect, sort and obtain the refund value and handling fee of empty beverage containers for, or on behalf of, such dealer or distributor.

Generally, redemption centers are often small businesses that accept empty containers for redemption from the public and pay the refund value. Anyone may open a redemption center and determine the type of empty beverage containers to be accepted.

There is no cost to obtain a redemption center registration. You must complete the 6 NYCRR Part 367 Notification Form for Redemption Center Registration (PDF, 47kB) and send to:

625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-7253

Please allow 30 days for processing of the application. In addition, before opening a redemption center, you need to contact the municipality where you would like to locate your redemption center to ensure compliance with any local zoning and/or business requirements. Proof of compliance with local requirements must be submitted with your application.

Please note: You are required to notify DEC in writing of any changes to the information submitted on the notification form. Mail any changes to the above address.

Other obligations:

The form developed by DEC for Bulk Redemption of More Than 2,500 Beverage Containers (PDF, 24kB) for redemption centers and dealers is available here.

All redemption centers must post a "Redemption Warning" sign (PDF, 11kB), which states that there is a penalty for returning containers on which a deposit was never paid in New York. This sign must be at least 8" x 10", with print at least 1" in size. See Environmental Conservation Law ("ECL"), section 27-1015(4).

**The law states that a redemption center shall not knowingly redeem an empty beverage container on which a deposit was never paid in New York state. See ECL § 27-1007 (10).