Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events

Household hazardous waste collection events, gather, and dispose of household hazardous waste (HHW) from residents and hazardous waste from conditionally exempt small quantity generators (CESQGs). HHW events are held by local government and frequently accept materials such as automotive fluids (gasoline, antifreeze, etc.), pesticides, fertilizers, paint thinners, cleaning products and solvents. For specific information about upcoming HHW events in your area check with your local government.


Collection events are one- or two-day events that are held throughout the year to allow local residents to bring HHW to a centralized location.
All HHW collection events must obtain a registration and comply with the requirements in 6 NYCRR 362-4.2 and 6 NYCRR 362-4.5.

  • Events may be held for no more than two consecutive days and no more than 24 days in a calendar year.
  • The sponsor must notify the appropriate DEC regional office a minimum of 30 days before the collection is initiated.
  • The sponsor must complete a collection event plan, which must be available while the event is taking place.
  • All waste must be removed from the collection site within 3 days of the collection and the collection event location must be returned to its original condition.

Records must be kept for all collection events, including logs of all containers stored at the event location and all shipping documents.

To register to hold a collection event or to modify or renew an existing registration, please complete the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event Registration Form and contact the Regional Materials Management Engineer in your region.

Recordkeeping & Annual Reporting

HHW collection events are required to submit an annual report to the Department. For additional details about recordkeeping and reporting requirements, see 6 NYCRR 362-4.5.

Blank annual report forms for collection events can be found on our Solid Waste Facilities Forms page.

Annual reports from previous years are available on the Department's ftp site.