Public Information Session - Final Habitat Management Plan for Galen, WMA, Wayne County
Public Information Session at Montezuma Audubon Center
DEC will host a public information session on Sept. 27, on the recently completed habitat management plan (HMP) for Galen Wildlife Management Area (WMA), located in the town of Galen, Wayne County.
The Galen WMA consists of 763 acres. HMP goals include:
• Maintaining the quality of healthy mature forest, including both upland and wetland forests;
• Reforesting degraded ash forests and establishing young forest habitat composed of native trees and shrubs;
• Maintaining a shrubland component that provides continuous dense cover and soft mast;
• Maintaining the quality of emergent marsh, shrubby wetlands, and streams;
• Maintaining grasslands that provide food and cover throughout the year;
• Managing agricultural fields that provide supplemental food for wildlife; and
• Controlling invasive plants to maintain biodiversity and habitat quality.
The first half hour is dedicated to an informal open house. DEC staff will be available to answer questions. The presentation will begin at 7 p.m., followed by a question-and-answer session.
What: Public Information Session: Galen WMA HMP
When: Sept. 27, 2023
Time: 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Where: Montezuma Audubon Center, 2295 State Route 89, Savannah, NY
The Galen WMA – HMP can be found on DEC's website at https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24437.html
. The meeting space is wheelchair accessible; please contact Michael Palermo, DEC Biologist, at (585) 226-5383 with any specific requests for accommodations.