Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

Contact Us

Looking for information? Use the tables and links below to get help.

For general information, or if you aren't sure which program or office you need to contact, you can email us at or get in touch with us by mail at:

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
625 Broadway
Albany, New York 12233-0001

For Giant Hogweed inquiries, please call 845-256-3111 or email us at

For questions on Pesticide Applicator Licenses, please call 518-402-8748.

In Case of Emergency

If you are lost in the woods or see a forest fire, contact the Forest Rangers:

  • In the Adirondacks, call 518-891-0235
  • Outside of the Adirondacks, call 518-408-5850

Report an Environmental Problem

To report non-emergency violations of environmental law or natural occurrences, contact an Environmental Conservation Officer.

DEC Program and Regional Contact Directories

Note that individual employee phone numbers and email addresses are not published on this website.

  • DEC Central Office Program Directory - For contacts and descriptions of DEC programs in Albany, NY.
  • DEC Statewide Office Directory - DEC's local offices throughout the state can answer questions about local businesses, recreation areas, and rules affecting your property, and can investigate reports of local environmental damage.

Outdoors & Recreation

Name Phone Number Email
Sporting License Office - M-F, 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
(for questions on hunting and fishing licenses)
518-402-8845 n/a
Hunter Education (for class and certificate information;
24-hour voice mail)
1-888-HuntEd2 (1-888-486-8332)
Camping Reservations
(or visit Reserve America (leaves DEC website))
1-800-456-CAMP (1-800-456-2267)
Teletype (TTY): 1-800-304-1265
Conservationist Magazine
(Subscriptions, M-F 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
Bureau of Wildlife (for wildlife questions; or check the
statewide office directory for your local wildlife office)

Public Information

Name Phone Number Email
Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)
(request copies of many of the Department's files & records)
Environmental Notice Bulletin (ENB) 518-402-9165


Name Phone Number Email
ECO Hotline (24-hour, toll-free hotline for reporting
environmental violations)
(for non-urgent violations)
Spill Hotline (24-hour, toll-free hotline for reporting
oil or chemical spills)
1-800-457-7362 (within NY State)
(518) 457-7362 (outside NY State)
Inspector General Hotline (leaves DEC website)
(24-hour, toll-free hotline for filing complaints)
1-800-DO RIGHT
National Response Center (leaves DEC website)
(for federal reporting of chemical or oil spills)
1-800-424-8802 n/a

Permits & Regulations

Name Phone Number Email
Pesticide Applicator License 518-402-8748
NYS Water Well Driller program 1-877-472-2619
DEC Regulations (contacts listed by division) n/a n/a
Permits (listing of DEC program contacts) n/a n/a

Environmental Quality

Name Phone Number Email
Air Quality Hotline (24-hour service for air pollution warnings,
especially during ozone season - April to September)
Radon Testing (through NYS Department of Health;
M-F 8:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.)
ext. 27556
Mineral Resources statewide contacts n/a n/a

If you are having trouble finding a person to help you, you can contact DEC's Bureau of Public Outreach at or 518-402-8044.

More about Contact Us:

  • Important Links
  • Links Leaving DEC's Website
  • Contact for this Page
  • Please use the contact numbers listed on the main page at left. If you need further assistance, call
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions