Important Note: we have discontinued publication of our regulations online. Instead, we now link to our regulations on a website provided by WestlawNext. A disclaimer and additional information are below.
- Chapter I - Fish and Wildlife (Parts 1-189)
- Chapter II - Lands and Forests (Parts 190-199)
- Chapter III- Air Resources (Parts 200-317)
- Chapter IV- Quality Services (Parts 320-487)
- Chapter V - Resource Management Services (Parts 500-614)
- Chapter VI - General Regulations (Parts 615-624)
- Chapter VII - State Aid (Parts 625-638)
- Chapter VIII- Law Enforcement (Parts 641-642)
- Chapter IX - Independent Agencies within the Department (Parts 645-648)
- Chapter X - Division of Water (Parts 649-941)
- Appendices (Appendix 2-55)
About DEC's Regulations
DEC's regulations are found within Title 6 of the New York Codes, Rules and Regulations (NYCRR). Title 6 is divided into 10 Chapters, listed above. Follow those links for a breakdown of Parts within each Chapter.
The links to the various Parts of our regulations go to a compilation on the WestlawNext website. While they are believed to be accurate, they are not certified copies of the regulations and therefore should not be relied upon for legal interpretation.
Also, DEC's website contains links to various guidance documents and summaries of regulations that are not the regulations themselves.
The official written regulations published by the Department of State are the official source for NYSDEC regulations. To ensure that you are viewing the most current regulations, check the weekly New York State Register for recent rule adoptions that have not yet been published in the unofficial online NYCRR.
The navigational links, headers, and footers on each page are not part of the official language of the regulation, but have been provided for the convenience of the user.
Tips for Using the Online Regulations
WestlawNext's website includes a search link at the top of each page. The search will include matching results from any of New York State's regulations, and are not limited to only the regulations relating to the Department of Environmental Conservation.
Regulations can be easily printed using your browser's print function.
In writing about a regulation, cite as "6 NYCRR Part __" or "6 NYCRR §__".