Proposed 6 NYCRR Part 570 - Regulation of Liquefied Natural Gas Facilities
DEC is proposing the addition of Part 570 to 6 NYCRR to establish a permitting program for the safe siting, construction, and operation of liquefied natural gas (LNG) facilities and transportation of LNG in New York State, as required in Article 23, Title 17 of the Environmental Conservation Law. LNG facilities are those that either store LNG in a tank system or convert LNG into natural gas through vaporization. The two types of facilities that DEC expects to permit most frequently include facilities to fuel trucks and facilities that store LNG as a backup heating fuel. The public comment period was recently extended and written comments will now be accepted until December 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM.
- Express Terms Summary - 6 NYCRR Part 570
- Express Terms (Full Text) - 6 NYCRR Part 570
- Regulatory Impact Statement Summary - 6 NYCRR Part 570
- Regulatory Impact Statement (Full Text) - 6 NYCRR Part 570
- Regulatory Flexibility Analysis for Small Businesses and Local Governments - 6 NYCRR Part 570
- Rural Area Flexibility Analysis - 6 NYCRR Part 570
- Job Impact Exemption Statement - 6 NYCRR Part 570
- State Environmental Quality Review (SEQR) Documents - 6 NYCRR Part 570 (PDF) (140 KB) - Negative Declaration, Short Environmental Assessment Form, Coastal Assessment Form.
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards
- Two NFPA Standards are referenced in proposed 6 NYCRR Part 570: NFPA 59A - Standard for the Production, Storage, and Handling of LNG; and NFPA 52 - Vehicular Gaseous Fuel Systems Code (see "Links Leaving DEC's Website" on the right of this page.)
- Instructions to Online Access of NFPA Standards referenced in Proposed 6 NYCRR Part 570 (PDF) (1.6 MB)
- Report on Issues Regarding the Existing New York Liquefied Natural Gas Moratorium (November 1998) (see "Links Leaving DEC's Website" on the right of this page.)
- NYS Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) 6 NYCRR Part 570 Promulgation Support Study (September 20, 2011) (PDF) (418 KB).
Written comments on the proposed regulations will be accepted until December 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM.
Send comments to:
Division of Environmental Remediation
625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-7020
Phone (518) 402-9553
The proposed Part 570, supporting rule making documents, LNG reports, and NFPA Standards may also be inspected at the following DEC offices, by calling the noted contact for an appointment.
- Central Office, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233, Attention: Russ Brauksieck (518) 402-9553
- Region 1, SUNY, Building #40, Stony Brook, NY 11790, Attention: Karen Gomez (631) 444-0320
- Region 2, Hunters Point Plaza, 47-40 21st Street, Long Island City, NY 11101, Attention: Leszek Zielinski (718) 482-6455
- Region 3, 21 South Putt Corners Road, New Paltz, NY 12561, Attention: Ed Moore (845) 256-3137
- Region 4, 1150 North Westcott Road, Schenectady, NY 12306, Attention: Keith Goertz (518) 357-2399
- Region 5, 1115 NYS Route 86, Ray Brook, NY 13601, Attention: Russ Huyck (518) 897-1242
- Region 6, State Office Building, 317 Washington Street, Watertown, NY 13601, Attention: Gary McCullouch (315) 785-2513
- Region 7, 615 Erie Boulevard West, Syracuse, NY 13204, Attention: Dick Brazell (315) 426-7523
- Region 8, 6274 East Avon-Lima Road, Avon, NY 14414, Attention: Pete Miller (585) 226-5427
- Region 9, 270 Michigan Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14202, Attention: Greg Sutton (716) 851-7220
Public Information Meetings
DEC conducted public information meetings on October 16, 2013 at the New York State Fairgrounds in Syracuse, NY and on October 30, 2013 at NYSDEC, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY. These meetings were held to present the proposed rule making and respond to questions prior to the public hearing. The following link is to the presentation from the October 30, 2013 meeting.
A public hearing for this proposed rule making was held on October 30, 2013 at NYSDEC, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY.
Subscribe to the LNG Mailing List
DEC has an email list for those who would like to receive information regarding DEC's LNG program. This mailing list is used only by DEC so you will only receive information from DEC. Subscribe to the LNG mailing list - enter your email address and other information that may be requested. You will receive a confirmation email upon successful subscription to this mailing list.
More about Proposed 6 NYCRR Part 570 - Regulation of Liquefied Natural Gas Facilities:
- Summary of Express Terms - 6 NYCRR Part 570 - Summary of proposed regulation of liquefied natural gas facilities.
- Express Terms (Full Text) - 6 NYCRR Part 570 - Full text of proposed regulation of liquefied natural gas facilities.
- Summary of Regulatory Impact Statement - 6 NYCRR Part 570 - Brief summary of authority, benefits, costs and potential impacts of the regulations.
- Regulatory Impact Statement (Full Text) - 6 NYCRR Part 570 - Detailed explanation of authority, benefits, costs and potential impacts of the regulations.
- Regulatory Flexibility Analysis for Small Businesses and Local Governments - 6 NYCRR Part 570 - Information about the effects of the regulations, minimizing adverse impact on small business and local government.
- Rural Area Flexibility Analysis - 6 NYCRR Part 570 - Information about compliance with the regulations; costs; minimizing adverse impacts; and rural area participation.
- Job Impact Exemption Statement - 6 NYCRR Part 570 - Statement that the regulations are not expected to create a substantial adverse impact on employment opportunities.