Bulk Storage Emergency and Recently Adopted Regulations
Bulk Storage of Chemicals, Petroleum, and Liquefied Natural Gas
Emergency Adoption and Proposed Rule
6 NYCRR Part 597 - Hazardous Substances Identification, Release Prohibition, and Release Reporting
The Department adopted an emergency rule to add perfluorooctanoic acid, ammonium perfluorooctanoate, perfluorooctane sulfonic acid, and perfluorooctane sulfonate to the list of hazardous substances. While the emergency rule makes the amendments to 6 NYCRR Part 597 effective April 25, 2016, the emergency adoption is temporary. The proposed rule provides for the amendments to become permanent upon adoption.
Revisions to Petroleum Bulk Storage (PBS), Used Oil Management, and Chemical Bulk Storage Regulations
6 NYCRR Parts 595-599, 612-614, 370, and 374-2
The Department adopted revised regulations for the bulk storage of petroleum and chemicals and for the management of used oil. The petroleum and chemical bulk storage revisions are effective October 11, 2015; the management of used oil revisions are effective November 10, 2015. The revised regulations reflect changes in State laws and federal laws and regulations; and include:
- repeal of Part 595, "Releases of Hazardous Substances"
- repeal of Part 596, "Hazardous Substance Bulk Storage Regulations"
- repeal of Part 597, "List of Hazardous Substances"
- addition of a new Part 596, "Hazardous Substance Bulk Storage Facility Registration"
- addition of a new Part 597, "Hazardous Substance Identification, Release Prohibition, and Release Reporting"
- amendments to Part 598, "Handling and Storage of Hazardous Substances"
- amendments to Part 599, "Standards for New Hazardous Substance Tank Systems" (formerly "Standards for New or Substantially Modified Hazardous Substance Storage Facilities)
- repeal of Part 612, "Registration of Petroleum Storage Facilities"
- repeal of Part 613, "Handling and Storage of Petroleum"
- repeal of Part 614, "Standards for New and Substantially Modified Petroleum Storage Facilities"
- addition of a new Part 613, "Petroleum Bulk Storage" to include the requirements from existing Parts 612-614 along with requirements from changes in State laws and federal laws and regulations
- amendments to Part 370, "Hazardous Waste Management System - General" in section 370.1(e)(2) and amendments to Subpart 374-2, "Standards for the Management of Used Oil."
6 NYCRR Part 570, Liquefied Natural Gas
The Department adopted a new 6 NYCRR Part 570, Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG), effective February 26, 2015. The addition implements requirements for the safe siting and operation of LNG facilities and transportation of LNG under Article 23, Title 17 of the Environmental Conservation Law. LNG facilities are those that either store LNG in a tank system or convert LNG into natural gas through vaporization.
More about Bulk Storage Emergency and Recently Adopted Regulations:
- Emergency Adoption and Proposed Rule: 6 NYCRR Part 597 - Summary and links explaining emergency regulation adding materials to the list of hazardous substances.
- Revised Regulations: Bulk Storage of Petroleum and Chemicals; Management of Used Oil - summary and links explaining proposal for revised regulation of Bulk Storage of Petroleum and Chemicals; Management of Used Oil
- 6 NYCRR Part 570 - Regulation of Liquefied Natural Gas Facilities - Summary and links explaining new regulation of liquefied natural gas facilities.