Policy DSHM-PES-05-01 Applicant Challenge to Certification Examination
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
DEC Program Policy
Issuing Authority: Carl Johnson, Deputy Commissioner
Date Issued: August 18, 2005
Latest Date Revised:
This Program Policy was formerly identified as TAGM PES-91-01.
This Program Policy describes the procedure for an applicant for pesticide applicator certification to follow when requesting a review of a pesticide applicator certification examination they have taken.
The Bureau of Pesticides Management Central Office staff and Regional Pesticide Control Specialists involved in the process of conducting, monitoring and correcting pesticide applicator certification examinations should be familiar with this procedure. The procedure should be utilized when a request for review of the certification examination is received from an applicant.
III. Purpose and Background
This Program Policy was developed to provide a procedure for an applicant for pesticide applicator certification to follow to request a review of a pesticide applicator certification examination they have taken.
The responsibility for the interpretation and update this Policy document resides with the Bureau of Pesticides Management within the Department's Division of Solid & Hazardous Materials(518-402-8748).
The process for review of a pesticide applicator certification examination by the applicant is as follows:
Challenges to examination questions are to be made in writing to the Regional Pesticide Control Specialist and should include the following information:
- Examination taken (i.e. Commercial Applicator, Core, Private Applicator)
- Date, time and location of exam taken
- Question(s) challenged
- Basis for challenge
- The applicant challenging the examination questions must make an appointment with the Regional Pesticide Control Specialist.
- The review session will be scheduled and conducted by the Regional Pesticide Control Specialist.
- Each question which is being challenged will be read and the correct answer given orally by the Regional Pesticide Control Specialist.
- The applicant will only be allowed to look at his/her exam answer sheet to verify the answer.
- After review of the challenges, the Regional Pesticide Control Specialist will make a recommendation for an exam score adjustment to the Central Office.
- Central Office will review the recommended adjustments and will notify the Region of the decision to adjust the exam score.
- The Regional Pesticide Control Specialist will notify the applicant of the decision.
ECL Title 12 (Pesticide Reporting Law)