Pesticide Statutes, Regulations, and Policies
Under Sections 33-0301 and -0303 of the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL), the department has jurisdiction in all matters pertaining to the distribution, sale, use and transportation of pesticides. We also regulate the registration, commercial use, purchase and custom application of pesticides.
Pesticides, properly used for the control of insects, fungi, weeds, and nematodes, and as defoliants, desiccants, and plant regulators and for related purposes, are valuable, important and necessary to the welfare, health, economic well-being and productive and industrial capabilities of the people of this state. However, such materials, if improperly used, may injure health, property and wildlife. It is a matter of legislative determination that the regulation of the registration, commercial use, purchase and custom application of pesticides is needed.
For compliance and enforcement purposes, the Department promulgates regulations pursuant to State laws, and issues policies as a part of compliance assistance.
More about Pesticide Statutes, Regulations, and Policies:
- Pesticide Control Regulations - Listing of NYS Regulations Dealing with Pesticide Control
- Article 33 and Portions of Articles 15 and 71 of the ECL - Article 33 and Portions of Articles 15 and 71 of the Environmental Conservation Law
- Policy DSHM-PES-05-01 Applicant Challenge to Certification Examination - Procedures to Follow When Requesting a Review of a Pesticide Applicator Certification Examination
- Policy DSHM-PES-05-02 Pesticide Product Registration & Commercial Permits - Procedures Used to Register Pesticide Products and to Obtain a Commercial Permit to Sell and Distribute Restricted Use Pesticides
- Policy DSHM-PES-05-03 Pesticide Storage Guidelines - Recommended Standards and Practices for Storage of Pesticides
- Policy DSHM-PES-05-05 Aquatic Pesticide Permit Program - Provides Oversight for the Control of Aquatic Pests While Preserving and Potecting NYS Waters
- Policy DSHM-PES-05-07 Pesticide Product Registration Enforcement - Provides Enforcement, Quarantine and Procedural Guidelines Relating to Unregistered Pesticide Products
- Policy DSHM-PES-05-08 Compliance With the Pesticide Reporting Law - Provides Guidance to Ensure Compliance with Statutory and Regulatory Requirements of the Pesticide Reporting Law
- Policy DSHM-PES-05-09 Backflow Prevention Devices - Provides a Description of Devices and Methods for Compliance with 6 NYCRR Part 325.2(c)
- Policy DSHM-PES-05-10 Compliance With the Pesticide Reporting Law - Provides Guidance to Ensure Compliance with Statutory and Regulatory Requirements of the Pesticide Reporting Law (This is an addition to PES-05-08)
- Policy DSHM-PES-05-11 Compliance with Certain Provisions of Commercial Lawn Application Regulations - Measures to Take to Comply with Certain Provisions in the Commercial Lawn Application Regulations in 6 NYCRR Part 325
- Policy DMM-1 Determinations Regarding Emergency Pesticide Applications at Schools and Day Care Centers and Inquiries on Related Pesticide Prohibition - DEC Policy on the emergency application of pesticides at schools and day care centers prohibited by the New York State Education Law and Social Services Law.