Hazardous Waste Guidance
Through various regulations, policy documents and technical and administrative guidance memorandums (TAGMs) the regulated community, as well as DEC staff are provided with the necessary guidance to ensure compliance with the statutory and regulatory requirements regarding hazardous waste.
Policy documents and TAGMs are developed to provide guidance and clarify program issues to facilitate compliance. They also provide assistance to DEC staff and the regulated community in interpreting and applying regulations.
Proposed New Commissioner Policy on Used CRTs
DEC has prepared a proposed new Commissioner Policy to allow regulated parties to store used, broken Cathode Ray Tubes (CRTs) and CRT glass removed from CRTs prior to legitimate recycling in compliance with federal regulations, while DEC completes the promulgation of those requirements into State regulations. This discretion provides a protective but streamlined approach to managing these materials and thereby significantly encourages the recycling of this glass.
This was Noticed in DEC's Environmental Notice Bulletin on March 27, 2013. Written comments will be accepted until Friday, April 26, 2013 and should be submitted to Michelle Ching, Bureau of Technical Support, Division of Environmental Remediation, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, 625 Broadway, Albany, New York 12233-7020 or emailed to email@example.com. Please include "CRT Glass Comments" in the subject line.
Recently Rescinded Guidance
Note: the DEC Guidance document DSHM-HW-05-15, "Quality Assurance Project Plans," was rescinded on April 4, 2012 because it is outdated; and the current Quality Assurance guidance for hazardous waste facilities governed under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Subtitle C (RCRA-C) can be found in Chapter 2 of DEC's Program Policy, DER-10 Technical Guidance for Site Investigation and Remediation. Also, DEC recently revised its Quality Management Plan to address quality assurance issues for facilities regulated under RCRA-C. This revised plan was approved by the United States Environmental Protection Agency on March 12, 2012.
More about Hazardous Waste Guidance:
- Use of Enforcement Discretion for Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Glass - Authorization for DEC to use of Enforcement Discretion for Cathode Ray Tube(CRT)Glass waste management
- Hazardous Waste Management Regulations - Links to New York State's Hazardous Waste Management Regulations (the Part 370 series).
- Background on Hazardous Waste Counting Rules - Letter to USDA from USEPA providing background information on counting rules.
- Policy DSH-HW-03-09 Regulatory Status of Laundered Industrial Rags & Soiled Clothing - Policy addressing the regulatory status of used shop towels, industrial rags, and soiled clothing contaminated with oil or solvents when these items will be laundered.
- Policy DSH-HW-03-17 Counting of Container and Packaging Weights - Policy establishing the uniform policy of allowing container and packaging weights to be excluded when determining the quantity of hazardous waste generated
- A Hazardous Waste Guide for Farmers - Hazardous waste regulations that apply to farmers