Regional Enforcement Coordination
Regional Enforcement Coordination's principle charge is to act as a liaison between the Office of General Counsel and the various Department programs, as well as external parties, to ensure the enforcement process, and any subsequent requisite corrective and/or remedial action, is handled and completed in a timely and appropriate manner.
The core program elements of Regional Enforcement Coordination are:
- Coordinate, track and monitor all compliance inspection and enforcement activities within the region;
- Serve as information hub on regional compliance / enforcement activities and Departmental initiatives.
Compliance Inspection Review:
- Be familiar with inspection schedules, including Multi-Media Pollution Prevention (M2P2) inspections;
- Monitor implementation of compliance inspection schedules, including M2P2 inspections;
- Review inspection reports, including M2P2 facility reports, that show violations;
- Track compliance violations to ensure that corrective enforcement actions are taken in a timely and appropriate manner to ensure proper disposition.
Regulatory and Technical Knowledge - Develop and Maintain Knowledge in the Following Areas:
- USEPA / DEC Agreements and the corresponding regulatory and enforcement requirements;
- Enforcement policy for all DEC Environmental Quality and Natural Resource programs;
- Enforcement and compliance issues for all New York State and federal facilities within the Regional Enforcement Coordinator's respective region.
- Participate in docket development and review;
- Track case progress in VISTA;
- Provide case development support to counsel;
- Review penalty development calculations;
- Ensure completeness of case referrals from program;
- Prepare and/or review Short Form Consent Orders as applicable;
- Assist in preparation of Notice of Hearing & Complaint and Consent Orders.
Communication, Coordination, Reports, Tracking, Correspondence, Public Outreach:
- Maintain open, active and frank lines of communication with all program leaders involved in regional compliance / enforcement issues;
- Attend docket development meetings when held by program or division;
- Track major compliance / enforcement issues and major problem areas or facilities continually until a satisfactory resolution is reached;
- Ensure that the Regional and Program Director is apprized of all major new or unresolved compliance / enforcement issues as soon as possible and by follow-up memo where appropriate;
- Provide periodic clear and concise written status reports as needed (e.g., monthly);
- Coordinate with other agencies and with public where appropriate and according to current Department guidelines and procedures;
- Prepare for, and participate in, enforcement hearings and court proceedings, presenting testimony as required.
- Facilitate information exchange between Law Enforcement and program staff;
- Provide technical assistance to Environmental Conservation Officers where appropriate;
- Collect evidence (if certified).
More about Regional Enforcement Coordination:
- Regional Enforcement Coordination Staff - Regional Enforcement Coordination Staff and locations.