Fact Sheet: Technical Assistance Grants
Technical Assistance Grants (TAGs) are authorized pursuant to Environmental Conservation Law, Article 27, Titles 13 and 14
Increase public awareness and understanding of remedial activities taking place in the community
Applicant Eligibility Criteria
A community group must meet all the following criteria to be eligible:
- Be a non-responsible-party community group or non-responsible-party community group in partnership with another non-responsible-party community group;
- Be a not-for-profit corporation having 501(c)(3) status under the Internal Revenue Code;
- Be a group whose members' health, economic well-being or enjoyment of the environment may be affected by a release or threatened release of contamination at the eligible site; and
- Be a group whose membership represents the interests of the community affected by the eligible site.
Site Eligibility Criteria
Sites that are eligible for a TAG include:
- Class 2 sites on the New York State Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites (State Superfund Program significant threat sites), or
- Sites being remediated under the State's Brownfield Cleanup Program (BCP) that the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has determined pose a significant threat to public health and/or the environment.
- Eligible activities are those that will result in the TAG recipient obtaining independent technical assistance from a qualified environmental professional in interpreting and understanding existing environmental information about the nature and extent of contamination at the eligible site, the proposed and selected remedy and its implementation.
- Community outreach (e.g. disseminating site related environmental information to the affected community).
- Applications accepted continuously
- Funding limited to $50,000 per site
- Applicant match not required
- Costs are eligible as of the date of the DEC application approval letter
- Approved TAG application followed by an executed State Assistance Contract (SAC)
- Executed SAC required prior to submission of payment request