Remediation Guidance and Policy Documents
Program Policies issued by the Division of Environmental Remediation include Technical and Administrative Guidance Memorandums (TAGMs), Spill Technology and Remediation Series (STARS), Spill Prevention Operations Technology Series (SPOTS) and the Spill Guidance Manual (SGM). These guidance series are being updated and replaced by the DER series (DER-#).
- CP-43: Groundwater Monitoring Well Decommissioning Policy (PDF) (35 page, 519 KB) - Issued 11/03/2009; Effective 12/18/2009. This Commissioner Policy addresses groundwater monitoring wells being properly decommissioned when they are no longer needed and reuse by another program is not an option, or when their integrity is suspect or compromised.
- CP-51: Soil Cleanup Guidance Policy (PDF) (21 page, 201 KB) - Issued 10/21/2010; Effective 12/03/2010. This Commissioner Policy provides a uniform and consistent process for the selection of soil cleanup levels appropriate for each of the remedial programs in DEC. This policy is intended for the use and guidance of both DEC staff and remedial parties, and it is used in conjunction with applicable statutes, regulations and guidance.
- DER-2: Making Changes to Selected Remedies (PDF) (4 page, 24 KB) - Revised 04/01/2008
- DER-10: Technical Guidance for Site Investigation and Remediation - Issued 05/03/2010; Effective 06/18/2010. This Program Policy provides an overview of the site investigation and remediation process for the Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Site Remedial Program, known as State Superfund Program; Brownfield Cleanup Program; Environmental Restoration Program; and Voluntary Cleanup Program; and for certain petroleum releases.
- DER-13: Strategy For Prioritizing Vapor Intrusion Evaluations at Remedial Sites in New York (PDF) (16 page, 56 KB) - Issued 10/18/2006
- DER-23: Citizen Participation Handbook for Remedial Programs (PDF) (57 page, 154 KB) - Issued 01/21/2010; Effective 03/12/2010. Citizen Participation Support Materials for DER-23 (PDF) (66 page, 353 KB)
- DER-24: Assistance for Contaminated Water Supplies (PDF) (17 page, 127 KB) - Issued 07/15/2008
- DER-31: Green Remediation (PDF) (9 page, 104 KB) - Issued 08/11/2010; Effective 09/17/2010. This Program Policy establishes a preference for remediating sites in the most sustainable manner while still meeting all legal, regulatory and program requirements. This guidance applies to all phases of the site cleanup process, from investigation through completion of remediation, for sites in the Spill Response Program, Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Site Remedial Program (State Superfund Program), Environmental Restoration Program, Brownfield Cleanup Program, Voluntary Cleanup Program, and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Program.
- DER-32: Brownfield Cleanup Program Applications and Agreements - Program Policy DER-32 was rescinded on June 17, 2015. See DEC's Brownfield Cleanup Program (BCP) for the latest BCP Application Form (with instructions) and standard Brownfield Cleanup Agreement.
- DER-33: Institutional Controls - A Guide to Drafting and Recording Institutional Controls (PDF) (12 page, 80 KB) - Issued 12/03/2010; Effective 01/14/2011. This Program Policy provides an overview of the drafting and recording of Institutional Controls (ICs) for remedial programs in DEC's Division of Environmental Remediation. This guidance applies to sites in the Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Site Remedial Program (State Superfund Program), Brownfield Cleanup Program, Voluntary Cleanup Program, Environmental Restoration Program, Spill Response Program, and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Program. Related References: Model Environmental Easement and Model Deed Restriction; Model Environmental Notice (PDF) (2 page, 19 KB)
More about Remediation Guidance and Policy Documents:
- Requirements for Licensed Professional Engineers Certifying Submissions to DEC's Division of Environmental Remediation - Requirements for certifying Professional Engineers as required by the New York State Education Law
- Technical Guidance for Site Investigation and Remediation (DER-10) - DER-10 provides an overview of the site investigation and remediation process for the DEC's remedial programs administered by the Division of Environmental Remediation
- Index of Standards, Criteria and Guidance (SCGs) for Investigation and Remediation of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites - List of state and federal guidance documents and regulations relating to the investigation and remediation of inactive hazardous waste disposalsites
- Making Changes To Selected Remedies (DER-2) - This Program Policy defines the procedures to propose and document changes to remedies previously selected in a Record of Decision (ROD).
- Management Of Coal Tar Waste and Coal Tar Contaminated Soils and Sediment (DER-4) - This page contains information regarding the Management of Coal Tar Waste and Coal tar Contaminated Soils and Sediment From Former Manufactured Gas Plants ("MGP"s)
- Technical Assistance Grant Information - Technical assistance is intended to help the grant recipient and the community it represents understand existing environmental data developed about the site, comment on site remedial activities and proposals, and share this information with the public.
- Technical Assistance Grant (TAG) Guidance Handbook (DER-14) - DEC Program Policy, DER - 14/Technical Assistance Grant (TAG)Guidance Handbook, guidance and support.
- Glossary of Environmental Cleanup Terms - Protecting New York State's environment and managing natural resources
- Requirements For Submittal of Electronic Documents - Effective October 3, 2005, documents submitted to the DER must include an electronic version that conforms with the following guidelines.
- Vapor Intrusion Guidance - The Division of Environmental Remediation will evaluate vapor intrusion at all contaminated sites in New York State.