Adopted Amendments to 6 NYCRR Parts 750 and 621 Sewage Pollution Right to Know Act
In accordance with the Sewage Pollution Right to Know Act ("SPRTK"), which took effect on May 1, 2013, the rule requires owners and operators of publicly owned treatment works ("POTWs") and publicly owned sewer systems ("POSSs") to report untreated and partially treated sewage discharges to DEC and health authorities immediately, but in no case later than two hours from discovery of the discharge. Partially treated sewage discharged directly from a POTW that is in compliance with a DEC approved plan or permit does not need to be reported. The rule also requires owners and operators of POTWs and POSSs to continue reporting for each day after the initial report is made until the discharge terminates. The rule defines a "POSS" as a municipally-owned system that discharges to a POTW owned by another municipality. A POSS is not required to obtain a SPDES permit. Under existing regulations that will continue unchanged by this rule, municipally-owned sewers that discharge to a POTW owned by the same municipality are considered part of the POTW and are covered by the SPDES permit for that POTW.
Revised Statement explaining why a Job Impact Statement is not required
20.B. The rule will not have any substantial adverse impact on jobs or employment opportunities as apparent from the rule's nature and purpose. The rule reiterates and implements the requirements set forth in ECL section 17-0826-a (the Sewage Pollution Right to Know Act) and establishes a registration program for publicly owned sewer systems. As evident from its subject matter, the rule will not have any adverse impact on jobs or employment opportunities as the new requirements will not hinder jobs or employment opportunities, but rather could necessitate the hiring of additional personnel or the extension of work hours for current employees to meet the requirements of the rule.
More about Adopted Amendments to 6 NYCRR Parts 750 and 621 Sewage Pollution Right to Know Act:
- Express Terms 6 NYCRR Parts 750 and 621 SPRTK - Express Terms for the adopted Sewer Pollution Right to Know Act
- Revised Express Terms Summary for SPRTK - Revised Express Terms Summary for SPRTK
- Regulatory Impact Statement 6 NYCRR Parts 750 and 621 SPRTK - Regulatory Impact Statement for Sewage Pollution Right to Know Act ECL §17-0826-a
- Summary of Revised Regulatory Impact Statement for SPRTK - SPRTK Revised Regulatory Impact Statement Summary (RIS)
- Revised Rural Area Flexibility Analysis for SPRTK - Revised Rural Area Flexibility Analysis for SPRTK
- Revised Regulatory Flexibility Analysis for SPRTK - Revised Regulatory Flexibility Analysis for Small Businesses and Local Governments
- Summary of Assessment of Public Comments for SPRTK - Summary of the Assessment of Public Comments