Section 1.18: Issuance and Use Of Deer Hunting Tags
Statutory authority: Environmental Conservation Law, §§ 3-0301, 11-0303, 11-0701, 11-0715, 11-0903, 11-0907, 11-0909, 11-0911, 11-0913, 11-0917, 11-1103
§1.18 Issuance and Use of Deer Hunting Tags.
(a) Purpose. This section contains procedures for issuance and use of deer hunting tags for deer hunting as provided by Environmental Conservation Law §11-0907.
(b) Applicability. This section defines the available deer hunting tags and the conditions for their use. Persons eligible to hunt deer may do so during a regular big game season and one or more special seasons, or both. Depending upon the number and types of deer hunting licenses purchased by a big game hunter, the bag limit, the sex of the deer that may be taken, and the seasons of use may vary.
(c) Types of Deer Hunting Tags. (1) A deer hunting tag includes the following types of tags: regular season deer tag, bow/mz season either sex tag, or bow/mz season antlerless tag.
(2) A regular season deer tag will be issued to any hunter authorized to hunt big game.
(3) A bow/mz season either sex tag will be issued to a hunter holding a license authorizing the hunting of big game and holding additional licenses or stamps authorizing big game hunting in either a special archery season or a special muzzleloader season.
(4) A bow/mz season antlerless tag will be issued to a hunter holding a license authorizing the hunting of big game and holding additional licenses or stamps authorizing hunting in both special archery seasons and special muzzleloader seasons.
(d) Use of Deer Hunting Tags (1) A regular season deer tag is valid for use only during the regular big game seasons and is valid for the taking of an antlered deer only, except:
(i) During the regular seasons in Westchester and Suffolk Counties or in areas restricted to bow only hunting, regular season deer tags may be used for a deer of either sex.
(ii) During the late archery or late muzzleloading seasons hunters authorized to hunt in those seasons may use a regular season deer tag for a deer of either sex.
(iii) During the youth firearms season, junior hunters may use a regular season tag for a deer of either sex.
(2) A bow/mz season either sex tag is valid for the taking of a deer of either sex and is valid only for the special implement season for which the hunter is licensed, except as specified in Section 1.22 of this Part. Bow/mz season either sex tags are not valid for use during the regular seasons, except in Westchester and Suffolk Counties or by Junior Archers hunting during regular seasons.
(3) A bow/mz season antlerless tag is valid for the taking of antlerless deer only, in any special season and with any legal implement, except as specified in Section 1.22 of this Part. Bow/mz season antlerless tag are not valid for use during the regular seasons, except in Westchester and Suffolk Counties.
(e) Manner of Taking (1) The manner of taking, tagging and reporting requirements provided in Environmental Conservation Law §11-0907 for hunting under a big game license shall apply to all tags used for deer hunting.
(2) Hunters holding both a bow/mz season either sex tag and a bow/mz season antlerless tag may use either tag during any special season for which they hold a license or stamp.
(3) A regular season deer tag may be used during the late special archery season, the late muzzleloader season and the September portion of the northern zone early archery season by hunters holding licenses or stamps authorizing big game hunting during those seasons.
(f) Special Provisions (1) Persons holding a Lifetime License(s) will be issued deer hunting tags corresponding to the season privileges for which they are authorized.