Part 53: Public Use On The Shaupeneak Ridge Cooperative Recreation Area
- 53.1 Applicability
- 53.2 Prohibitions
- 53.3 Hunting
- 53.4 Fishing
- 53.5 Cross country skiing is permitted
- 53.6 Hours of operation
The provisions of this Part apply to the Shaupeneak Ridge Cooperative Recreation Area (area) in the Town of Esopus in Ulster County. Included within the area are lands owned by Scenic Hudson Land Trust, Inc., for which a Fish and Wildlife Cooperative Agreement entered into pursuant to Environmental Conservation Law, section 11-0501 is in effect.
(a) The prohibitions contained in Part 82 of this Title apply on the area, except that specific prohibitions set forth in the following sections supersede the provisions of Part 82 of this Title in the case of conflict.
(b) Except by prior written authorization by the landowner (Scenic Hudson Land Trust, Inc.) or the DEC Regional Supervisor of Natural Resources, the following acts are prohibited:
(1) construction of hunting stands, blinds or platforms, except for temporary stands that are removed daily from the property;
(2) operation of motorized off-road vehicles, including all-terrain vehicles, dirt bikes and snowmobiles;
(3) operation of any motorized vehicle outside public parking areas, except in emergencies or for administrative reasons by staff or invitees of the Department of Environmental Conservation and/or the landowner (Scenic Hudson Land Trust, Inc.);
(5) setting of fires;
(7) entry into any parts of the property identified as restricted areas;
(8) use of boats equipped with motors or trailerable boats on Louisa Pond;
(9) consumption of alcohol;
(10) playing of radios or other audio systems;
(11) waterfowl hunting;
(12) shooting at anything other than game that can be legally taken; and
(a) It is unlawful for any person to hunt on the property except from October 15th through December 20th and from the opening day of spring turkey season through May 31st.
(b) It is unlawful for any person to hunt deer and small game except with longbow from October 15th through the day before the opening of the Southern Zone regular big game season.
(c) It is unlawful for any person to hunt deer and small game except with legal firearms and longbow from the opening day of the Southern Zone regular big game season through December 20th.
(d) It is unlawful for any person to hunt on the property without first obtaining a special permit from Scenic Hudson Land Trust, Inc.
Fishing is permitted on Louisa Pond from the shoreline and from nontrailerable hand-launched boats. Ice fishing is also permitted.
§53.5 Cross country skiing is permitted
However, groomed or marked trails will not be provided.
§53.6 Hours of operation
Use of the area from one-half hour before sunrise to sunset each day is permitted. Use at any other time is prohibited.