Water Quality Improvement Project Program
WQIP Round 12
The application period for WQIP Round 12 is now closed.
Through the Regional Economic Development Council (REDC) initiative, DEC has made up to $35 million available to support water quality improvements through Round 12 of the Water Quality Improvement Project (WQIP) Grant Program. Funding is available for municipalities, soil and water conservation districts and non-profit organizations. The WQIP program is a competitive, reimbursement grant program that directs funds from the New York State Environmental Protection Fund to projects that reduce polluted runoff, improve water quality and restore habitat in New York's waterbodies. Grants awarded through the WQIP program can fund up to 85% of the total project cost for Wastewater Treatment Improvement projects or up to 75% of the total project cost for Non-Agricultural Nonpoint Source Abatement and Control, Aquatic Habitat Restoration and Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4).
Funding for WQIP Round 12 is being made available through Governor Cuomo's REDC initiative that started in 2012. The REDC initiative supports economic development, strategic plan implementation and job creation across the state.
- Municipal Corporations
- Soil and Water Conservation Districts
- Not for Profit Corporations
Eligible Project Types
- Nonagricultural Nonpoint Source Abatement and Control (NPS)
- Municipal Wastewater Treatment (WWT)
- Aquatic Habitat Restoration (AHR)
- Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4)
- All municipalities and soil and water conservation districts must register in the NYS Grants Management System (leaving DEC website) to be eligible for this grant.
- All not-for-profits must register and prequalify in the NYS Grants Management System (leaving DEC website) to be eligible for this grant.
Wastewater treatment plant
Successful Applicant Requirements
Successful applicants will be required to sign a State of New York Master Contract (MGC) and will be required to comply with statewide, agency and program terms and conditions, and payment and reporting requirements as identified in the MGC. The Water Quality Improvement Project Program MGC is available for review.
All questions should be submitted via e-mail to User.Water@dec.ny.gov. Answers will be posted in the FAQ for WQIP. Questions will be accepted up to 7 days prior to the close of the application period.
More about Water Quality Improvement Project Program:
- Regional Contacts for Water Quality Improvement Projects - Contact list for assistance with Water Quality Improvement Projects.
- FAQs for WQIP - Answers to questions about WQIP Round 12.
- Process for Successful WQIP Applicants - Steps for the grant recipient to follow that should be used as a guide to help with the contracting process.
- WQIP Documents and Forms - ROUND 11 (2013) - Information and forms for funded water quality improvement projects: workplans, municipal resolution, self-certification forms, M/WBE, sample contracts.
- WQIP Documents and Forms - ROUND 12 (2015) - Information and forms for funded water quality improvement projects: work plans, municipal resolution, self-certification forms, M/WBE, sample contracts - ROUND 12.
- WQIP Document Archive - Information on previous rounds of funding for the Water Quality Improvement Project program. This is for informational reference purposes only.