Green Your Commute
Walk, bike, take transit, drive an electric car.
Green Your Commute Day is May 20, 2016
What is Green Your Commute Day?
Green Your Commute Day is a day to promote and celebrate more sustainable modes of transportation. This year it is taking place on Friday, May 20th. On this day everyone is encouraged to use a more sustainable mode of transportation to get to work, these include:
- taking public transit
- car pooling
- driving an electric vehicle, or
- anything else that isn't driving a single occupancy gasoline powered vehicle.
Why Greening My Commute?
Leading causes of climate change.
Transportation represents the largest source of New York State's greenhouse gas emissions and also the largest part of most New Yorker's personal carbon footprint as well. This is why it is critically important that we all lower our emissions from transportation so that we can meet our ambitious greenhouse gas emission reduction goals (a 40% reduction by 2030 and 80% by 2050). Plus, you might discover that a more sustainable commute is both relaxing and enjoyable!
You can learn more about the impacts of climate change in New York.
By using a more sustainable mode of transportation on Green Your Commute Day you will be joining thousands of your fellow New Yorkers in not only directly improving our environment (last year's participants saved 4.75 TONS of CO2 emissions in just one day), but you might discover that sustainable transportation is a great option for your commute.
How Can I Participate?
Simply walk, bike, take public transit, car pool, drive an electric vehicle, or use another form of sustainable transportation that is not driving a single occupancy gasoline powered vehicle to work.
In addition, make sure that you register with us so that we can measure the impact that everyone is having on this day.
Note: If you live in the Capital District and are going to bike to work, multiple agencies have teams for the Capital Region Bike to Work Day Challenge. You can register your bike commute on the Capital Moves website (link leaves DEC's website).
How Do I Find Out How to Green My Commute?
There are many resources available to help you find a more sustainable way to commute. Here are just a few (the following links leave DEC's website):
- Google Maps - Go to Google Maps and click on "get directions". You can then enter your start and end points and the mode of transportation you want to use and it will tell you the easiest way to get to work via walking/biking/public transportation.
- 511 NY Transit Trip Planner - You can use the Transit Trip Planner at 511ny.org to plan your trip using public transit.
- 511NYRideshare - Find others who are going in the same direction as you to carpool with, using 511NYRideshare.
- Bike NY - Find bike routes with DOT's Bike NY interactive map.
Green Your Commute Day Events
Morning events for employees are happening at several agencies, contact your coordinator for more information.
For more information on Green Your Commute Day please email Brendan Woodruff, Environmental Program Specialist with the Pollution Prevention Unit, or call 518-402-9159.
More about Green Your Commute:
- Green Your Commute Day Registration - on-line form to register for the Green Your Commute Day event.