New York State Environmental Excellence Awards
10th Annual NYS Environmental Excellence Awards
Six organizations will be recognized by DEC for their innovative programs and commitment to environmental sustainability, social responsibility and economic viability
When: Wednesday, December 10, 2014
Time: Registration @ 9:30am; Ceremony @ 10:00am-2:00pm
Where: The Colleges of Nanoscale Science and Engineering, SUNY Polytechnic Institute's NanoFab South Rotunda and Auditorium at 255 Fuller Road, Albany, New York
Space is limited - Pre-register at: http://on.ny.gov/eearegistration (link leaves DEC's website)
The event will showcase innovations by:
- businesses investing in energy efficiencies and undertaking continuous improvements to become carbon-neutral;
- a university reducing solvent use through a comprehensive recycling program;
- an inter-municipal coalition creating and protecting critical wetlands; and
- a unique collaboration that is protecting drinking water sources through fuel storage improvements.
The program will also include an update about the Colleges of Nanoscale Science and Engineering at SUNY Polytechnic Institute's role in building New York's innovation-driven economy as a global leader in high-tech education, research, and development.
Following the awards ceremony, there will be a tour of the Owens Corning facility in Feura Bush, NY. Owens Corning, a 2012 Environmental Excellence Award winner, is implementing clean-tech solution and innovative process changes as part of the production of insulation from natural minerals, recycled glass and an innovative starch-based binder that replaced a formaldehyde-based binder. Pre-registration for the tour is required.
Environmental Excellence Awards
The New York Environmental Excellence Awards recognize and give visibility to outstanding, innovative and sustainable projects or programs. Eligible applicants include businesses, educational institutions, not-for-profit organizations, facilities, government agencies (except DEC), and individuals implementing innovative, sustainable actions or working in creative partnership to improve and protect New York's environmental resources and contribute to a viable economy.
Winners are honored each year at an awards ceremony. The ceremony, which is usually held in late November or early December, allows winners to present and display information about their award winning project or program.
At the 10th Anniversary celebration of the Environmental Excellence Awards, DEC Commissioner Joe Martens delivered a keynote address (PDF) (100 KB) in recognition of each organization's innovative programs and outstanding commitment to environmental sustainability, social responsibility and economic viability.
For additional information, contact the Division of Environmental Permits and Pollution Prevention at
email@example.com or by calling (518)402-9469
The awards program was established in 2004. Since the inception of the program, DEC has honored 60 organizations that have helped improve New York's environment through initiatives that have:
- reduced more than 25,000 tons of CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions;
- eliminated more than 2 million pounds of hazardous waste;
- reduced the use of heating oil or other petroleum products by at least 1 million gallons;
- saved at least 37 million kilowatt hours of electricity;
- reduced water consumption by more than 35 million gallons;
- captured at least 6 million gallons of stormwater;
- diverted at least 7,500 tons of waste from landfills;
- eliminated the use of at least 110,000 single-use plastic shopping bags;
- preserved more than 150,000 acres of open space; and
- involved thousands of students in environmental education activities.
More about New York State Environmental Excellence Awards:
- 2013 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2012 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2011 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2010 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2009 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2008 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2007 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2006 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2005 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2004 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries