New York State Environmental Excellence Awards
Apply Now and Advance Your Organization's Mission
Applications Are Now Being Accepted for 2016
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Acting Commissioner Basil Seggos announced that applications are now being accepted for the 2016 New York Environmental Excellence Awards program. The Environmental Excellence Awards are given annually in recognition of outstanding, innovative and sustainable projects or programs and unique partnerships that are contributing to a healthier environment and economy and serving as models of excellence. Award winners are an elite group of committed organizations leading by example as serving as models of excellence within their industry and community.
Eligible applicants include businesses (i.e., small, medium and large businesses, manufacturing, power generation, retail, agri-business, hospitality, sports, etc.); not-for-profit organizations; education, health care and recreational facilities; individual(s) and local, state, federal and Indian Nation government agencies.
Winners are honored each year at an awards ceremony. The ceremony, which is usually held in late November or early December, allows winners to present and display information about their award winning project or program. Some benefits of receiving an award include visibility as a sector leader and furthering your organization's mission through networking and marketing opportunities.
Completed applications must be postmarked no later than Friday April 8, 2016 and sent to:
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Environmental Excellence Awards
Div. of Environmental Permits and Pollution Prevention
625 Broadway, 4th Floor
Albany, NY 12233-1750
Electronic submissions must also be sent before the close of business on Friday April 8, 2016 to: email@example.com
For additional information, contact the Division of Environmental Permits and Pollution Prevention at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (518) 402-9167.
2016 Application Brochure (PDF) (409 KB)
Webinar: Apply for a NYS Environmental Excellence Award & Get Statewide Recognition
Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Online Registration Required (http://on.ny.gov/1VbKmMx) (link leaves DEC's website)
Join the webinar to:
- Learn about the benefits of being a NYS Environmental Excellence Award winner.
- Get tips for submitting a competitive application.
- Hear from previous award recipients about the benefits of receiving statewide recognition.
Featured on this webinar will be:
Paul LaCaruba, Manager Public Affairs, National Hockey League (NHL)
The NHL was recognized in 2015 for the NHL Green initiative. Through this effort, the league is proactively reducing its environmental footprint and engaging millions of hockey fans, global businesses and local communities in sustainable action. The environmental, social and economic benefits for New York, and the nation, are extraordinary and far-reaching.
Joseph Berman, Manager of Corporate Social Responsibility, LEED AP BD&C, Golub Corporation/Price Chopper
The Golub Corporation/Price Chopper was honored in 2012 for its Corporate Sustainability Model. Through their efforts, Price Chopper successfully integrated the "triple bottom line" (people, products, planet) concept into every aspect of their business. Price Chopper is setting industry standards through third party certified green building, innovative energy efficiency strategies, renewable energy procurement, electric vehicle charging station ecosystem deployment and recyclable materials recapture at their resource recovery facility.
Become part of an elite, statewide network of award winners! Since 2004, the program has honored 72 outstanding organizations for significant environmental benefits such as:
- reducing or eliminating more than 150,000 metric tons of CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions;
- producing at least 1.4 million kilowatt hours of electricity from solar installations and saving 214 million kilowatt hours of electricity;
- reducing the use petroleum products by more than 12 million gallons;
- reducing water consumption by more than 80 million gallons;
- capturing at least 45 million gallons of stormwater;
- diverting more than 240,000 tons of waste from landfills;
- composting nearly 175,000 tons of organic material;
- eliminating the use of at least 400,000 single-use plastic shopping bags;
- preserving thousands of acres of open space, planting thousands of trees and protecting sensitive and critical habitats; and
- engaging many adults and students in sustainable practices at home, work and school.
Award-winning projects showcase applicants who are:
- Implementing innovative approaches and technologies
- Advancing sustainable practices and generating economic growth
- Harnessing the power of unique partnerships
- Achieving extraordinary outcomes
- Inspiring others to undertake like-minded projects
Project topics include but are not limited to:
Omega Center for Sustainable Living
- Green infrastructure projects
- Initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Adaptations to climate change
- Cutting-edge, "clean-tech" and pollution prevention technologies
- Initiatives to "green" businesses, farms, schools, health-care and recreational facilities, etc.
- Innovative wind, solar or biomass projects
- Creative natural resource/habitat protection or restoration efforts
- Energy efficiency improvements
- Innovative education/training programs
- Innovative waste reduction and recycling efforts
- Manufacturing process improvements
- Creative approaches to advance "grown locally" or "farm to table"
For details about award winning projects, read the case studies below. Case studies about award-winning projects in the business and government sectors are being developed and will be posted upon completion. If you would like more information about business and government award winners, contact the Division of Environmental Permits and Pollution Prevention at email@example.com or call (518) 402-9167.
DEC Acting Commissioner Basil Seggos with winners from
New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
2015 Award Winners:
In 2015, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation was pleased to recognize seven outstanding organizations at the 12th Annual New York State Environmental Excellence Awards Ceremony (link leaves DEC website) for their state-of-the-art programs and commitment to environmental sustainability, social responsibility and economic viability.