New York State Environmental Excellence Awards
12th Annual NYS Environmental Excellence Awards Ceremony
DEC Acting Commissioner Basil Seggos with winners
from New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation recognized seven organizations at the 12th Annual New York State Environmental Excellence Awards for their state-of-the-art programs and commitment to environmental sustainability, social responsibility and economic viability. Here are the 2015 Environmental Excellence Awards winners.
For more information, contact NYSDEC at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (518) 402-9167.
NYS Environmental Excellence Awards: Annual recognition of outstanding innovative and sustainable projects or programs and unique partnerships that are improving and protecting New York State's environmental resources and contributing to a stronger economy.
Receive statewide recognition -- Since its inception in 2004, the program has honored 66 outstanding organizations for achieving significant environmental benefits such as eliminating 40,000 tons of CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions; diverting 10 thousand tons of waste from landfills; saving nearly 50 million gallons of water; eliminating 2 million pounds of hazardous waste; saving at least 45 million kilowatt hours of electricity; and preserving more than 150,000 acres of open space.
Eligible applicants include businesses, educational institutions, nonprofit organizations, facilities, government agencies (except DEC) and individuals.
Competitive applications are subject to a comprehensive review process that includes program/technical and compliance review by Department staff and evaluations by a statewide, multi-sector review panel.
How To Apply
Advance your organization's mission -- apply for a NYS Environmental Excellence Award
The 2016 application will be open on or before January 1, 2016. Application materials for 2016 will be posted at that time.
Want to know more? Contact the Division of Environmental Permits and Pollution Prevention at: email@example.com or by calling (518) 402-9469.
Award-winning projects showcase applicants who are:
- Implementing innovative approaches and technologies
- Advancing sustainable practices and generating economic growth
- Harnessing the power of unique partnerships
- Achieving extraordinary outcomes
- Inspiring others to undertake like-minded projects
Project topics include but are not limited to:
Omega Center for Sustainable Living
- Green infrastructure projects
- Initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Adaptations to climate change
- Cutting-edge, "clean-tech" and pollution prevention technologies
- Initiatives to "green" businesses, farms, schools, health-care and recreational facilities, etc.
- Innovative wind, solar or biomass projects
- Creative natural resource/habitat protection or restoration efforts
- Energy efficiency improvements
- Innovative education/training programs
- Innovative waste reduction and recycling efforts
- Manufacturing process improvements
- Creative approaches to advance "grown locally" or "farm to table"
For detailed examples, check out our previous award recipients' projects.