New York State Environmental Excellence Awards
Now Accepting Applications for 2014
The New York Environmental Excellence Awards recognize and give visibility to outstanding, innovative and sustainable projects or programs. Eligible applicants include businesses, educational institutions, not-for-profit organizations, facilities, government agencies (except DEC), and individuals implementing innovative, sustainable actions or working in creative partnership to improve and protect New York's environmental resources and contribute to a viable economy.
Winners are honored each year at an awards ceremony. The ceremony, which is usually held in late November or early December, allows winners to present and display information about their award winning project or program.
Completed Applications must be postmarked no later than Friday May 9, 2014 and sent to:
NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Environmental Excellence Awards
Div. of Environmental Permits and Pollution Prevention
625 Broadway, 4th Floor
Albany, NY 12233-1750
Electronic submissions must also be sent before the close of business on Friday May 9, 2014 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information, contact the Division of Environmental Permits and Pollution Prevention at email@example.com or by calling (518) 402-9469.
Eight organizations received awards at the 10th Annual New York State Environmental Excellence Awards celebration on December 10, 2013. The event was co-hosted by Price Chopper/The Golub Corporation at its LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Gold Certified headquarters in Schenectady, NY. More than 100 people attended and were inspired by success stories from businesses, schools, not-for-profits, municipalities and governments taking action to be "greener" and more profitable. The celebration event included displays about previous award winning projects and tours of Price Choppers high-efficiency headquarters. Read more details about these award winning projects on the "2013 Environmental Excellence Award Winners" page.
Photos are available on DEC's Flickr account (leaving DEC's website).
DEC Commissioner Joe Martens delivered a keynote address (PDF) (100 KB) and presented the awards in recognition of each organization's innovative programs and outstanding commitment to environmental sustainability, social responsibility and economic viability.
The awards program was established in 2004. Since the inception of the program, DEC has honored 60 organizations that have helped improve New York's environment through initiatives that have:
- reduced more than 25,000 tons of CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions;
- eliminated more than 2 million pounds of hazardous waste;
- reduced the use of heating oil or other petroleum products by at least 1 million gallons;
- saved at least 37 million kilowatt hours of electricity;
- reduced water consumption by more than 35 million gallons;
- captured at least 6 million gallons of stormwater;
- diverted at least 7,500 tons of waste from landfills;
- eliminated the use of at least 110,000 single-use plastic shopping bags;
- preserved more than 150,000 acres of open space; and
- involved thousands of students in environmental education activities.
More about New York State Environmental Excellence Awards:
- 2013 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2012 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2011 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2010 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2009 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2008 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2007 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2006 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2005 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries
- 2004 Environmental Excellence Award Winners - Project Summaries