Environmental Justice Hotline and Links
Environmental Justice Hotline
You can call and speak with staff in the Office of Environmental Justice toll-free from anywhere in New York State.
The Office of Environmental Justice Toll-Free Number is: 1-866-229-0497
Hours of Live Operation: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, or leave a message and we will return your call.
What Topics Can I Call the Hotline for?
- Information on the NYSDEC Environmental Justice Program
- Environmental issues in minority or low-income communities
- Information on environmental laws, regulations, policies, permitting and enforcement related to Environmental Justice
- Grant opportunity information
Please Note: The purpose of this hotline is to serve minority and low-income communities. It is not intended as a hotline for general environmental information unrelated to issues of Environmental Justice. Please consult the list of phone numbers and addresses for other NYSDEC programs to determine who to contact.
The links on this page leave the NYS DEC Website
State Environmental Justice Programs
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- Rhode Island
- Environmental Justice For All: A Fifty-State Survey Of Legislation, Policies, and Cases (4th edition)
University of California Hastings College of Law, 2010
General information on state environmental justice programs, including those not listed above.
General State Environmental Agency Information
- Environmental Council of States Information on all 50 States' Environmental agencies
- State Environmental Resource Center (SERC) SERC includes a section on environmental justice
Federal Environmental Justice Programs
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Environmental Justice Hotline: 1-800-962-6215
- USEPA National Environmental Justice Program
- National Environmental Justice Advisory Council
- USEPA Region 1 Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont and 10 Tribal Nations
- USEPA Region 2 New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and 7 Tribal Nations
- USEPA Region 3 Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia
- USEPA Region 4 Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
- USEPA Region 5 Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin and 35 Tribal Nations
- USEPA Region 6 Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Texas and 65 Tribal Nations
- USEPA Region 7 Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and 9 Tribal Nations
- USEPA Region 8 Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming and 27 Tribal Nations
- USEPA Region 9 Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, the Pacific Islands, and over 140 Tribal Nations
- USEPA Region 10 Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Pacific Northwest Indian Country
- USEPA Office of Civil Rights USEPA's program for equal employment opportunity
- USEPA Environmental Justice Bibliography Database (EJBib) A fully indexed bibliography of published materials relating to environmental justice.
- U.S. Department of Transportation Environmental Justice Program
National and International Organizations Working in Environmental Justice
For information on local and regional environmental organizations in New York State, please see DEC's extensive directory.
- African American Environmentalist Association
- Environmental Justice Foundation
- Indigenous Environmental Network
- Natural Resource Defense Council
- Right-to-Know Network
- Sierra Club Environmental Justice Program