Community Air Screen Program
What is the Community Air Screen program?
This community-based program works with volunteers from local communities to screen for toxic air pollutants in order to begin to address some local air quality concerns. The goal of the Community Air Screen program is for community groups and citizens to partner with DEC to collect local-scale air samples.
DEC releases more Community Air Screen sampling results!
What's in the report?
The report discusses the sampling and methods that were used to evaluate the sampling results.
Technical appendices were added to include information on controlling air pollution sources as well as the uses, sources and potential exposure to Community Air Screen air toxics for people interested in knowing more about air toxics and how they are regulated in New York.
Glens Falls Sample Results
The Community Air Screen Program released sampling results conducted by Glens Falls Middle School 8th grade advanced science students.
For more information on air toxics and how they are regulated in New York, please see the technical appendices. These contain information on controlling air toxics from sources, and uses, sources and potential exposure to air toxics.
Watch it now!
To learn how to use the sampling equipment and take a good air sample, view our video.
We'll be Busy Working on Projects
Of the 42 applications received, the following 23 applications were selected statewide:
- Brookhaven Village Association, South Yaphank Civic Association, Medford Taxpayers & Civic Association
- Joseph Dispigno
- Partnership of Kings Park Civic Association, San Remo Civic Association, and Commack Community Association
- Eastern Queens Alliance
- Jackson Heights Beautification Group
- Locust Grove Civic Association
- New Hamilton Beach Civic Association
- United Community Civic Association
- The Harmony Park Health Initiative
- Prospect Park Quiet Skies & SAVE Bed Stuyvesant Community Organization
Ulster: City of Kingston Parks and Recreation
Albany: Clean Air Neighborhoods
St. Lawrence & Franklin: Akwesasne Task Force on the Environment
- Partnership of Council of Park Friends for Clark Reservation and Jamesville Positive Action Committee (JamPAC)
- Doreen Miori-Merola
Ontario & Seneca: Partnership of Finger Lakes Zero Waste Coalition, Inc and Concerned Citizens of Seneca County
Erie: Commodore Perry Tenant Council
Other Communities Participating in Citizen Sampling Programs
- Southwest Ohio Air Quality Agency - Citizen Air Sampling Program (See right column "Links Leaving DEC's website")
- Western Australia, Department of Environment and Conservation - Community Air Sampling Program (See right column "Links Leaving DEC's website")
- See our program overview
- Air toxics measured in this program
- EPA's Guide to Community Sampling (see right column "Links Leaving DEC's website")
More about Community Air Screen Program:
- Completed Community Air Screen Reports - A complete report of sampling results for each community will be posted here as they become available.
- Community Air Screen Program Overview - More details about the Community Air Screen program.
- Pollutants Measured in the Community Air Screen Program - List of air toxics measured in this program.
- What to Know About Sampling for the Community Air Screen Program - Information about the equipment and procedures to end up with good results
- Frequently Asked Questions for the Community Air Screen Program - Additional information on the Community Air Screen Program