Be Green Organic Yards NY
Photo: Susan Shafer
Want a beautiful yard using organic practices without conventional pesticides and synthetic fertilizers?
Businesses that participate in DEC's Be Green Organic Yards NY program can take care of your lawn, plants, and trees organically.
When you hire a Be Green business, only products and materials that meet DEC's conditions for organic management should be used in your yard. The conditions include prohibitions against certain pest management practices.
Why Use an Organic Approach?
Photo: Susan Shafer
The organic approach focuses on preventing problems before they occur, and building a sustainable landscape that is healthy for all - plants, wildlife, pets, and people.
Be Green landscape services can range from a simple regimen of weeding, mulching and pruning, to all aspects of yard care, including plant selection and tree and lawn installation and maintenance.
Homeowners in many areas of the country are choosing organic yard care management, as a way of reducing their risk of exposure to pesticides and potential hazards for family, pets and the environment.
How Be Green Organic Yards NY Works
Be Green businesses sign an agreement with DEC for the right to use the Be Green service mark (logo). In return, businesses agree that, when they provide Be Green services, they will avoid the synthetic pesticides and other materials prohibited by the organic conditions as they are defined in the agreement. The businesses also take an introductory Be Green training course that explains the conditions of the Be Green agreement and introduces the basic concepts of organic lawn care.
The Be Green program is not a license or a certification to apply pesticides. While an organic approach focuses on a process oriented solution, rather than a product oriented solution, there are still many pesticides that can be used under the Be Green program. The commercial use of even those organic approved pesticides requires pesticide applicator certification issued by the DEC.
Questions about the program? Email us at BeGreen@gw.dec.state.ny.us
How to Find a Be Green Business
Homeowners and commercial customers looking for organic yard care can visit our web site for a list of Be Green Businesses. As with any business, customers should make themselves familiar with an individual business' experience and qualifications before hiring.
To Learn More About Organic Lawn Care
Interested in learning more about the nuts and bolts of organic landscaping? Take a look at DEC's resources on Green Lawns and Gardens.
How to Become a Be Green Organic Yards NY Business or Course Provider
Course providers, landscapers and other yard care professionals - learn more about the Be Green program and use of the Be Green service mark. DEC provides information on how to participate in Be Green as a course provider or business, including the service mark agreement, application forms, and helpful instructions.
More about Be Green Organic Yards NY:
- How to Become a Be Green Course Provider - Information on how to become a Be Green Organic Yards NY course provider.
- List of Be Green Course Providers - Course providers approved to participate in Be Green Organic Yards NY.
- How to Become a Be Green Business - Information on how to become a Be Green Organic Yards NY business.
- List of Be Green Businesses - Businesses approved to participate in Be Green Organic Yards NY.
- Pest Management Prohibitions - Practices prohibited for businesses when providing Be Green services.
- Resources for Course Providers & Businesses - List of resources which provide information related to Be Green practices.
- Letter to Be Green Participants - Letter to all be green participants in New York State. After collaborating with industry representatives, the NYSDEC has made changes to the Be Green Organic Yards NY organic landscape program.