Green Lawns and Gardens
Have a Beautiful Yard without Chemicals
We all want a beautiful looking yard, but also one that is safe for our families, friends and pets to enjoy. Use the tips and resources on this page to learn how to have both and protect the environment at the same time.
Why Make the Switch from Lawn Chemicals?
Lawns and gardens maintained with repeated fertilizer and pesticide applications may look perfect but this perfection is achieved at the expense of soil vitality.
The chemically dependent lawn is more prone to disease and less able to handle stresses from drought, heat and insects. In addition, lawn chemicals and toxins can build up in soils, leach into our water, and pose potential hazards to people, pets and non-target species such as bees and birds.
Tips and Resources for a Chemical Free Yard
Whether you maintain your yard yourself, use a landscaping and lawn care service, or are in the landscape and lawn care business, the links below will help you choose products and practices that are effective alternatives to toxic chemicals.
For Homeowners and Residents:
- Tips and additional information on pesticide alternatives
- Find more resources on natural land care or a lawn or landscape contractor that practices non-toxic lawn and land care
- Be Green Organic Yards NY (organic yard care)
- The Nutrient Runoff Law restricts and in some cases prohibits the use of phosphorus-containing lawn fertilizers.
For Lawn Care and Landscape Professionals:
- Information on becoming trained in non-toxic land care
- Non-toxic alternatives and practices for pest control
- Participate in Be Green Organic Yards NY
- The new Nutrient Runoff Law restricts and in some cases prohibits the use of phosphorus-contining lawn fertilizers.