To elicit new ideas for controlling pollution, and to recognize effective control measures, DEC makes two annual environmental awards. For each award, the website tells when and how to apply, gives criteria for judging, and describes the accomplishments of previous years' winners.
- The Andrew M. Weist O&M Excellence Award recognizes wastewater treatment facilities for quality operation and exemplary record of compliance. The award acknowledges the efforts of staff and municipal leaders for their dedication and professionalism. Winners are selected in categories based upon their size and degree of wastewater treatment they provide.
- The New York State Environmental Excellence Awards program recognizes New York's environmental and conservation leaders, meeting environmental challenges by using innovative and environmentally sustainable practices or creative partnerships.
Eagle Scout and Girl Scout Gold Award Certificates
DEC provides the opportunity for scoutmasters to complete and print an online certificate for scouts who will be recognized in their troop for environmental projects:
More about Awards:
- New York State Environmental Excellence Awards - This awards program recognizes New York's environmental and conservation leaders, who are solving environmental challenges by using innovative and environmentally sustainable practices or creative partnerships.
- Governor's Awards for Pollution Prevention - These awards are being incorporated into the new Environmental Excellence Awards program which will recognize Innovation, Sustainability, and/or Partnerships by organizations or individuals in NYS.
- Conservation Innovation Award - View the recent Conservation Innovation Awards presented to staff by the Division of Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources Director, Patricia Riexinger, for recognizing their innovative delivery of fish, wildlife and marine resources conservation programs.