What is Environmental Justice?
Environmental justice is defined as the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, or income with respect to the development, implementation, and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations, and policies.
Environmental justice efforts focus on improving the environment in communities, specifically minority and low-income communities, and addressing disproportionate adverse environmental impacts that may exist in those communities.
Environmental Justice Mailing List
Sign up for email notices
If you would like to receive e-mail notices from the Office of Environmental Justice about EJ-related funding opportunities, initiatives and other news from DEC, first use this link to subscribe by entering your e-mail address. Fill in and submit the requested information on the "New Subscriber" page.
This will take you to the "Quick Subscription" page where you will see all the topics that you can receive email updates on from DEC. Scroll to the "Prevent and Control Pollution" category and check the box next to "Environmental Justice." You will receive a welcome email from DEC confirming your subscription(s).
Regulations in 6 NYCRR Part 487 on Environmental Justice Analysis for Siting of Electric Generation Facilities
The Department has adopted regulations in 6 NYCRR Part 487 to establish a regulatory framework for undertaking an analysis of environmental justice (EJ) issues associated with the siting of power plants pursuant to Article 10 (Article 10) of the Public Service Law. For more information about Part 487 go to the Part 487 Summary Page.
Please Note: The purpose of this office is to serve the environmental needs of minority and low-income communities. It is not intended for general environmental inquiries unrelated to the issues of Environmental Justice. Please consult the list of phone numbers and addresses for DEC programs to determine appropriate DEC contacts.
More about Environmental Justice:
- News from the Office of Environmental Justice - Current projects and information from the DEC Office of Environmental Justice to help residents of environmental justice communities and members of the general public in New York State
- DEC Environmental Justice Policy CP-29 - Commissioner Policy CP-29 provides guidance for incorporating environmental justice concerns into the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) environmental permit review process, the DEC application of the State Environmental Quality Review Act, and some aspects of the DEC's enforcement program, grants program and public participation provisions.
- Office of Environmental Justice Staff - New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Environmental Justice Program Staff
- Environmental Justice Hotline - New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Environmental Justice Hotline
- Environmental Justice Strategic Partnerships - Strategic partnerships between the Office of Environmental Justice, Division of Law Enforcement, and community stakeholders to improve the environmental quality of communities across the state.
- Environmental Justice Community Impact Grant Program - Provides grants from $2,500 to $50,000 to community-based organizations for research and education projects that address multiple environmental harms and risks; includes Green Gems Grants up to $10,000 for projects involving community gardens, parkes, green infrastructure and other open space.
- Geospatial Information System (GIS) Tools for Environmental Justice - Links to Geographic Information System (GIS) Tools for environmental justice information
- County Maps Showing Potential Environmental Justice Areas - Maps of New York State counties showing census block groups that qualify as Potential Environmental Justice Areas under NYSDEC criteria
- Environmental Justice Interagency Task Force - Office of Environmental Justice Interagency Task Force
- Environmental Justice Network - NYSDEC program staff who work closely with the Office of Environmental Justice
- Environmental Justice Advisory Group - New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Environmental Justice Program Citizen Advisory Group
- Environmental Justice Work Group Reports - Reports by the NYSDEC Environmental Justice Advisory Work Groups on Disproportionate Adverse Environmental Impact Assessment and Health Outcome Data
- Environmental Justice Links - Links to Environmental Justice programs of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, several states, and some national non-profit organizations
- Local and Regional Environmental Advocacy Organizations in New York State - Contact information and website links for over 400 environmental justice advocacy organizations in New York State, arranged by DEC Region and county