Environmental Justice Community Impact Grant Program
DEC's Office of Environmental Justice offers Community Impact Grants to provide community-based organizations with funding for projects that address various environmental and public health concerns. The program has a particular focus on low-income and minority communities that have historically been burdened by environmental problems. Those environmental problems include a large number of regulated facilities; contaminated sites; noise, air and water pollution; health problems and lack of green space and waterfront access. The Community Impact Grants empower stakeholders to be actively engaged in finding solutions to the disproportionate burdens that EJ communities may experience.
The Community Impact Grants have been an important source of support for communities disproportionately impacted by pollution and toxins. The grants have helped communities generate data through citizen science and have helped to engage residents in addressing and understanding the challenges and opportunities for improving community health, safety, and sustainability. These grants are essential support for engaging underserved communities throughout the state.
The Community Impact Grants program started in 2006. Since its inception, DEC's Office of Environmental Justice has awarded more than $4 million in 121 grants to organizations statewide that have made exceptional improvements in the communities they serve. Projects that have been funded include: research, community gardens, tree plantings, education and curriculum development, urban farming training, habitat restoration, water quality monitoring, air quality monitoring and more.
To read about past award recipients visit the Winner of Past Environmental Justice Community Impact Grants webpage.
For more information on the EJ Community Impact Grants contact the DEC Office of Environmental Justice at 518-402-8556.
More about Environmental Justice Community Impact Grant Program:
- Environmental Justice Grant Frequently Asked Questions - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the 2012 Environmental Justice Community Impact Grant Program
- Environmental Justice Grant Application Checklist - Checklist of required documents for 2012 Environmental Justice Community Impact Grant applications
- Environmental Justice Grant Outreach Workshops - List of dates and locations for the NYSDEC Environmental Justice Grant outreach workshops to be held in January and February, 2013, to provide potential applicants with information about the 2012 Environmental Justice Community Impact Grants.
- Environmental Justice Grant Information for Applicants - Information for applicants about the 2012 Environmental Justice Community Impact Grants.
- Environmental Justice Grant Application Instructions - Instructions for completing the application for the 2012 Environmental Justice Community Impact Grant
- Environmental Justice Grant Supplement A. Evaluation of Project Proposals - Environmental Justice Community Impact Grant Program 2012 criteria for determining eligibility of grant application projects for funding and evaluation factors for review of applications.
- Environmental Justice Grant Supplement B. Regional Economic Development Council Recommendation - Description of the new EJ Grant requirement for a recommendation from the Regional Economic Council or a statement showing how the proposed project aligns with the goals of the Regional Economic Development Plan
- Environmental Justice Grant Supplement C. Sample Authorizing Resolution - Sample Resolution of Support for use by applicants for the Environmental Justice Community Impact Research Grant
- Winners of Past Environmental Justice Community Impact Grants - Winning organizations, projects and award amounts for the 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2011 Environmental Justice Community Impact Grants