For Release: Friday, January 4, 2013
DEC Lifeguard Tests Begin January 5, 2013
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation is offering free lifeguard tests in the Adirondack and Catskill regions starting January 5, 2013, the agency announced today. Tests will be given to individuals 16 and older interested in lifeguard jobs at DEC facilities this summer and will be offered through June 8, 2013.
Only candidates who pass the examination will be considered for employment. Testing includes an in-water demonstration of lifesaving techniques and performance of the Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) single rescuer procedure. Candidates will be evaluated on a pass or fail basis. The exam may be taken at the DEC testing location most convenient to the applicant, and the results will be forwarded to the preferred work location.
At the time of employment, all DEC lifeguards must:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Possess a valid American Red Cross (or equivalent) certification in Waterfront Lifeguarding, and CPR for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid if not included in the Lifeguard Training Course
- Have successfully completed the New York State DEC lifeguard exam
- Have attended one of the DEC lifeguard orientations
- Have completed a personal interview with DEC
- Submit a current certification of the applicant's physical ability to perform lifeguard duties Exam locations will open one hour prior to exam start time for candidates to become familiar with the pool and testing equipment. Exams will begin on time and late arrivals will not be accepted. Candidates must bring their own CPR mask.
Below is a list of exam locations and dates
|Saturday January 5th||9:00 a.m.||Glens Falls High School||15 Quade Street||Glens Falls|
|Sunday January 27th||9:00 a.m.||Paul Smiths College||Route 30||Saranac Lake|
|Saturday February 9th||9:00 a.m.||Lynch Literacy Academy||55 Brandt Place||Amsterdam|
|Sunday February 17th||9:00 a.m.||Paul Smiths College||Route 30||Saranac Lake|
|Saturday March 9th||9:00 a.m.||Holland Patent High School||8079 Thompson Road||Holland Patent|
|Sunday March 10th||9:00 a.m.||Glens Falls High School||15 Quade Street||Glens Falls|
|Sunday March 24th||9:00 a.m.||Paul Smiths College||Route 30||Saranac Lake|
|Saturday April 20th||9:00 a.m.||South Lewis Central School||4264 East Road||Turin|
|Saturday April 27th||1:00 p.m.||SUNY Cobleskill||State Route 7
|Saturday May 4th||9:00 a.m||Kingston High School||403 Broadway||Kingston|
|Saturday May 11th||9:00 a.m||Queensbury Elementary School||431 Aviation Road||Queensbury|
|Saturday May 18th||9:00 a.m||Kingston High School||403 Broadway||Kingston|
|Sunday May 19th||10:00 a.m.||SUNY Delhi||2 Main Street
|Saturday June 1st||9:00 a.m||Lynch Literacy Academy||55 Brandt Place||Amsterdam|
|Saturday June 8th||9:00 a.m||Kingston High School||403 Broadway||Kingston|
DEC reserves the right to cancel any exam. For more information and updates or to pre-register, call 518-457-2500 ext. #1, e-mail DEC or visit Employment Opportunities in Summer Employment on DEC's website.