Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

For Release: Sunday, July 24, 2016

DEC and CCHA Announce Restoration of the Bluff Point Lighthouse

Restoration of the Bluff Point Lighthouse on Valcour Island in Lake Champlain is complete, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and the Clinton County Historical Association (CCHA) announced today.

"DEC is pleased to work with our partners at the Clinton County Historical Association to restore the lighthouse to its historic grandeur," said DEC Regional Director Robert Stegemann. "The active lighthouse not only serves to assist in navigation on Lake Champlain, it provides a beautiful attraction for the public to view and visit. The work done will also serve to protect the lighthouse from the elements long into the future."

"It is wonderful to have this project completed," said Roger Harwood of CCHA. "With the completion of this project, we can be assured that the lighthouse will watch over the Valcour Bay for many decades to come. Clinton County Historical Association, our many visitors, and our devoted volunteers appreciate the Department of Environmental Conservation's investment in this historic lighthouse.

Rabideau Construction completed the $280,424 restoration under contract and direction from DEC and included:

  • Replacing the gallery walkway deck and walkway door;
  • Replacing or rehabilitating the fascia, soffits, decorative moldings on the light tower and mansard;
  • Replacing the metal roof;
  • Reconstructing gutters and replaced downspouts;
  • Rebuilding the chimney;
  • Replacing basement entrance and basement window covers; and
  • Painting or washing all exterior surfaces.

In addition, CCHA volunteers spent more than six weeks cleaning and painting the interior of the lighthouse, fixing all of the water damage that has occurred over the decades. New areas of the lighthouse are now open to visitors, new exhibits have been added and many previous exhibits have been updated.

The 36-foot high Bluff Point Lighthouse sets on the western shore of Valcour Island, 95 feet above the waters of Lake Champlain facing the New York shore. The lighthouse began service in 1874, and was one of the last lighthouses to be manned on the lake. It guided ships through the narrow passageway between the island and the New York shore for almost 60 years. Its light shone every night until 1930 when the light was moved to a steel tower erected just south of the lighthouse.

On June 11, 2005, after the light had been removed from the steel tower and re-installed in the lighthouse, DEC, CCHA, US Coast Guard and others celebrated the lighting of the lighthouse's light for the first time in 75 years.

Valcour Island is part of the Adirondack Forest Preserve and is managed by DEC. The lighthouse is owned by New York State but the Clinton County Historical Association owns a deeded right to manage and maintain it.

  • Contact for this Page
  • DEC Region 5 Office - David Winchell
    1115 NYS Rte. 86
    P.O. Box 296
    Ray Brook, NY 12977
    518-897-1200
    email us
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to Region 5