Eastman Business Park (Kodak)
The Eastman Business Park is a 1,200-acre technology and industrial campus primarily owned and operated by Kodak. The Monroe County site, which stretches from the City of Rochester to the Town of Greece, features more than one million square feet of manufacturing, laboratory and warehouse space. As part of the Kodak bankruptcy, an asset sale was approved that allowed RED-Rochester, LLC to purchase certain park utilities, including the power plant, wastewater treatment plant and water supply system.
Also as part of the federal court approval of Kodak's bankruptcy settlement, the company created an environmental trust to fund remediation and monitoring activities at the Eastman Business Park in Rochester and an investigation to assess whether the Genesee River suffered damages associated with discharges from Kodak's operations. DEC will administer the trust, which is funded by Kodak. See the full May 13, 2014 press release for more information.
Genesee River Project - Draft Investigation Work Plan Now Available
To address the trust's obligation to assess conditions in the lower Genesee River, in May 2014 DEC retained an engineering consultant (Parsons) to develop and implement this investigation. The investigation will assess the sediments, water, biota and floodplains in the lower Genesee River in Rochester from near Route 104 (Veterans Memorial Bridge) to the mouth of the river at Lake Ontario. The investigation work plan that Parsons prepared, in consultation with NYSDEC, is now available. To request a copy of the work plan contact DEC Project Manager Larry Thomas at (518) 402-9813 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The draft investigation plan will be reviewed by USEPA Region 2. DEC expects to finalize the investigation plan in March 2015, and have Parsons proceed with the field sampling program during the 2015 construction season. DEC expects the investigation results/report to be available in 2016.
Hazardous Waste Permit (Part 373)
Kodak and RED-Rochester LLC have submitted an application for renewal of a hazardous waste management permit for their Eastman Business Park hazardous waste management facility.
The facility currently includes two hazardous waste management operations: an incinerator to burn sludge from the facility's wastewater treatment plant; and a tank system to store hazardous waste. These activities would continue under the requested renewal. Corrective action requirements to protect human health and the environment would also continue under the renewal.
The draft renewal permit was made available for public comment from July 2, 2014 through September 2, 2014. A public meeting and hearing for this action was held on August 19. DEC is currently evaluating comments that were received during the comment period, and expects to make a final determination on the permit application in December 2014.
Documents Related to Part 373 Permit
- Public Notice (PDF) (30 KB) - July 2, 2014
- SEQR Environmental Assessment Form (PDF) (624 KB)
- Eastman Business Park Draft Part 373 Permit Fact Sheet (PDF) (44 KB) - General information about the facility and description of what is included in the permit renewal application
- Draft Part 373 Permit and Modules (PDF) (602 KB)
- Permit Attachments:
- Attachments A- C (PDF) (1.9 MB) : Part A Application; General Facility Description; and Waste Analysis Plan
- Attachments D- F (PDF) (5.1 MB) : Incineration; Storage in Tanks; Corrective Action Program Solid Waste Management Units; Inspection Schedule (Preparedness and Prevention)
- Attachments G- I (PDF) (515 KB) : Contingency Plan; Personnel Training; Closure Plan & Financial Assurance Requirements
- Attachments J- M (PDF) (5.2 MB) : Drawings; K [Reserved]; Legal Documents [U.S. Bankruptcy Settlement/Judicial Order Eastman Kodak Company [Chapter 11 Case No. 12-10202 (ALG)(Jointly Administered)], the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, (May 2014)]; Permit Modification Log
Documents are also available at the following locations:
- NYSDEC Region 8 Office, 6274 E. Avon-Lima Road, Avon NY 14414-9519 (contact person: Scott E. Sheeley, 585-226-5382)
- NYSDEC Division of Environmental Remediation, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-7017 (contact person: David Lates; 518-402-9814)
- Maplewood Community Library, 1111 Dewey Ave, Rochester, NY 14613
- Greece Public Library, 2 Vince Tofany Blvd, Rochester, NY 14612
- Electronic copies of all documents upon request in CD format by contacting David Lates at (518) 402-9814
Environmental Clean-Up Documents
Eastman Kodak Company - 828177
The Eastman Business Park - South (EBP-S) Former Kodak Building 514 Investigation Area - Statement of Basis (PDF) (3.6 MB) was issued March 2014.
DEC Announces That Remediation Activities at Eastman Business Park Will Continue Following Kodak's Bankruptcy Settlement: Press Release- May 13, 2014