D E C banner
D E C banner


The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

Wastewater, Stormwater & Water Withdrawal Permits

Wastewater Permits

Individual Wastewater Permits

Individual permits are issued to cover a single facility in one location that is unique with respect to discharge characteristics and other factors. The following categories identify specific requirements for permit development and compliance.

For a more detailed description of the Individual wastewater permitting process and how DEC ranks and reviews permits, see the Environmental Benefit Permit Strategy guidance document (PDF) 520 KB.

  • Industrial-industrial discharges of waste resulting from any process of industry, manufacturing, trade, or business or from the development or recovery of any natural resources, which may cause or expect to cause water pollution.
  • Municipal-discharge of residential sewage, primarily from facilities not owned by a municipality, with or without the admixture of industrial wastewater that is treated by a publicly owned treatment works (POTW) owned by a municipality.
  • Private, Commercial or Institutional (PCI) -discharge of primarily domestic sewage without admixture of industrial waste; generally this refers to wastewater generated by a single facility or building complex under single ownership and may or may not be publicly owned.
    • Private, Commercial or Institutional General Permit - Required for private, commercial, and institutional facilities' on-site treatment works discharging 1,000 to 10,000 gallons per day of treated sanitary waste without the addition of industrial wastes.

Related wastewater forms and registrations


General permits are issued to cover discharges that involve similar types of operations, pollutants, require similar effluent limits and operating conditions, require similar monitoring, and typically have less significant impact on the environment when in compliance with permit provisions.

Stormwater General Permits

  • Construction Permit-this permit is required for construction activities that disturb one or more acres of soil and for construction projects in NYC East of Hudson Watershed that disturb more than 5,000 square feet to one acre of land.
  • Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP) -this permit is required for industrial activities (descriptions of activities are listed in Appendix B in the MSGP (GP-0-12-001)) that discharge stormwater to waterbodies.
  • Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Permit-this permit is required for urbanized areas defined by the US Census Bureau (communities are notified by DEC if they are designated) to manage stormwater to reduce the amount of pollutants reaching waterbodies.
  • Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO) Permit-this general permit is required for large or medium animal feeding operations or designated as a small CAFO by the Department, Appendix A in the CAFO GP-0-09-001 defines the different sizes of CAFOs that need this permit.

State Pollution Discharge Elimination System (SPDES) Permit-general information for all types of SPDES permits issued by DEC.

Water Withdrawal

Agricultural Water Withdrawal Registration

Agricultural facilities are required to register with DEC if:

  • The water withdrawal system operation began on or before 2/15/2012; and
  • average volume is greater than 100,000 gallons per day in any 30 day consecutive period; and
  • prior to 2/15/2013 water use was reported to DEC.

If a facility is not already registered then a Water Withdrawal Permit is required.

Other water related permits

Brine Disposal Wells

A brine disposal well permit is required for any brine disposal well deeper than 500 feet; including any operation to drill, deepen, plug back or convert a well. Regardless of well depth, DEC must be contacted for a determination of whether a permit is necessary to operate any brine disposal well.