General Sporting License Information
Address changes can be made online (link leaves DEC website), by phone Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM (1-866-933-2257), at a license issuing agent location, or by sending us an email. If requesting an address change by e-mail, please include your full name, date of birth, Customer ID number (if known), new address, and telephone number.
Replacing Lost License Cards/Tags
Licenses/tags can be replaced at a license issuing agent location. Replacement fees are listed in the table below.
|Annual and lifetime licenses for fishing, hunting or trapping||$5 (per license type)|
|Recreational marine fishing registration card||No fee|
|Carcass tag sets for deer, bear or turkey||$10 (per set)|
|Back tags for hunting||No fee|
To qualify for a resident sporting license, you must have permanent residency in New York State for more than 30 days. Residency is a place where you maintain a fixed, permanent home, and to which you always intend to return.
Nonresident Military Members & College Students
You can purchase licenses and privileges for a resident fee if you are active members of the United States Armed Forces stationed in New York State (LES or military orders required as proof), or if you are a full-time college student attending a New York State College or University (student ID card required as proof).
When purchasing a lifetime license, you must show proof of residency for one full year.
Proof of Residency
You will need one of the following documents as proof of residency when purchasing your license:
- NYS driver license from DMV showing a valid NYS address
- NYS non-driver identification from DMV showing a valid NYS address
- Current NYS vehicle registration showing a valid NYS address
- IT-201 OR W-2 income tax form from the previous year
- Current voter registration card
- Current student ID card from a New York State College or University
- Military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) OR military orders
- Current pay stub OR note on letterhead from a current employer. Either must verify your legal NYS address.
Licenses as Gifts
Only lifetime licenses for children under 16 can be purchased as gifts.
Required documents for gift purchases
To purchase a lifetime license as a gift, you will need the following documents:
- Proof of age (one of the following)
- Birth certificate
- Driver's license
- Proof of residency (parent/legal guardian proof of residency qualifies for children 16 & under)
Where to purchase lifetime licenses as gifts
Lifetime license gift purchases can be purchased at a license issuing agent location.
License Holder Responsibilities
- Have your license on hand: You must have your license on hand while conducting any sporting activity permitted by the license.
- Display your license as requested: You must display your license(s) on demand to any police officer, peace office, or the owner, lessee, or other person in control of the lands or waters while on their property.
- Do not access private property without permission: A license to hunt, trap or fish does not give the holder any right to go on private property without permission of the landowner.
- Ensure your license has all the correct information: Carefully check it immediately after purchase or as soon as delivered in the mail. If you discover an error, have it corrected as soon as possible. Errors render a hunting or fishing license invalid.
- Do not let others use your license: A license, permit, tag or stamp (except Deer Management Permits or Lifetime Licenses) is not transferrable and may be used only by the person to whom it was issued. It is not legal to possess another person's license, permit or stamp (except a transferred Deer Management Permit), unless accompanied by the person to whom it is issued.
- Abide by harvest limits and sporting regulations: You are responsible for checking and following regulations for harvest limits and seasons before going fishing, hunting or trapping.