Department of Environmental Conservation

D E C banner

General Permits

Under the Uniform Procedures Act, the Department may issue General Permits to allow similar types of work not unique to a particular location. Such work may be the result of natural disasters or extraordinary weather, or for other activities that have been determined not to have a significant impact on the environment.

This page provides links to General Permits available to the public for various activities.

Draft Benthic Mat General Permits, GP-0-17-001 and GP-0-17-005

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation proposes to issue two new permits that allow seasonal placement and removal of benthic mats in shoreline areas.

General Permit for Management of Invasive Species, GP-0-15-005

  • Management of invasive species, using hand harvesting techniques, suction harvesting techniques, and/or benthic barriers.

General Permit for Breaching/Removal of Beaver Dams No More Than 2 Years Old, GP-0-16-004

  • Breaching/removal of recently established beaver dams no more than 2 years old.

SPDES General Permit GP-0-15-001

  • Groundwater discharge of treated sanitary waste of 1,000 to 10,000 gallons per day (gpd) per outfall, and less than 30,000 gpd for the facility.

General Permit for Bulkhead Removal and Replacement, New GP-1-18-001

  • Removal and replacement of a functional and lawfully existing bulkhead (including returns and parallel capping boardwalks) in the same location as the existing bulkhead. This General Permit is for work in areas on the south shore of Long Island.

General Permits for Stream Crossings for Timber Harvesting

Note: Reissued GP's become effective on October 1, 2018.

  • The installation, construction, maintenance and removal of temporary stream crossings for the purposes of timber harvesting only.

Freshwater Wetland Adjacent Area General Permit, GP-0-18-001

  • Activities in currently disturbed areas, located further than 50 feet from the freshwater wetland boundary.

For other General Permits, refer to these web pages:

More about General Permits:

  • PDF Help
  • For help with PDFs on this page, please call 518-402-9167.
  • Contact for this Page
  • Division of Environmental Permits
    625 Broadway 4th Fl
    Albany NY 12233-1750
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions