Regional Environmental Permits Information
The Division of Environmental Permits manages a group of environmental permits known as the UPA permits. These permits, under the Uniform Procedures Act or UPA, protect New York's air, water, minerals, and biological resources.
The Division's Regional Permit Administrator and staff serve as the single point of contact for your environmental permits, help you understand the regulatory requirements for your project, and manage the permitting process.
Contact the Regional Permit Administrator for permit application assistance, including:
- Pre-application meetings to discuss the application procedure and project information requirements. This is highly recommended for multi-residential developments; and commercial or industrial projects.
- Referrals to DEC regulations, policies, guidance and resource information for preparing permit applications and meeting environmental analysis requirements.
- Identification of specific DEC permitting jurisdictions for proposed projects based on site development as well as operational aspects of the projects.
- Screening potential project sites for the presence of regulated resources and other environmental and cultural resources.
The Regional Permit Administrator will:
- Conduct comprehensive environmental analyses and assure timely and consistent permit decisions which balance environmental protection with social and environmental considerations.
- Coordinate review of projects with other state and local agencies requiring approvals.
More about Regional Environmental Permits Information:
- Region 1 Environmental Permits - permit assistance for Long Island, Nassau county and Suffolk county.
- Region 2 (NYC) Environmental Permits - Resources to provide applicants with guidance and documents needed for submitting permit applications for projects in Region 2: NYC
- Region 3 Environmental Permits - permit assistance for the Lower Hudson Valley, including Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster and Westchester counties.
- Region 4 Environmental Permits - Region 4 Permitting Special Initiatives. Contact the Division of Environmental Permits, Region 4, (518) 357-2069.
- Region 5 Environmental Permits - basic information on the Region 5 Environmental Permits program and links to supporting information, documents and forms.
- Region 6 Environmental Permits - permit assistance for the Western Adirondacks/Eastern Lake Ontario area, including Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida and St. Lawrence counties.
- Region 7 Environmental Permits - permit assistance for Central New York, including Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Tioga and Tompkins counties.
- Region 8 Environmental Permits - permit assistance for the Western Finger Lakes region, including Chemung, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne and Yates counties.
- Region 9 Environmental Permits - permit assistance for Western New York, including Allegany, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Erie, Niagara and Wyoming counties.
- Sample General Site Plans for Protection of Waters and Wetland Permit Applications - sample general site plans to assist in developing a Protection of Waters or Wetlands permit application.
- Sample Project Plans for Protection of Waters and Wetland Permit Applications - sample project plans to assist in developing a for Protection of Waters or Wetland permit application.