NY.gov Portal State Agency Listing Search all of NY.gov
D E C banner
D E C banner


The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

Wild, Scenic and Recreational Rivers Permit Program: Jurisdictions of Other Agencies

You must notify DEC of any other state or local appovals needed for your project. This will enable a coordinated review among all involved agencies. These may include:

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

The Corps of Engineers regulates dredging, the discharge of dredged or fill material, and the construction of certain structures in waterways and wetlands. The Corps' jurisdiction now expands beyond those major waterways traditionally referred to as "Navigable Waters", therefore, when you propose activities in or adjacent to any waters or wetlands, contact the Army Corps of Engineers as well as the DEC.

kayaker in white water
kayaker in white water

The "Joint Application Form" (PDF) (543 KB) and Instructions (PDF) (301 KB) helps applicants obtain a Corps of Engineers permit at the same time as the DEC permit. You must send the application form to both agencies.

Be Aware:

  • Being told that DEC will not require a permit for your project doesn't necessarily mean the Corps of Engineers won't require one. - You must contact the Corps to find out!
  • Likewise, obtaining a DEC permit doesn't relieve you from complying with federal law and with the regulations implemented by the United States Army Corps of Engineers. You bear the responsibility to inform them and ensure compliance.

DEC Regions and Corps of Engineers Jurisdiction

Region 1 (Long Island) Nassau and Suffolk counties

Region 2 (New York City) Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens and Richmond counties

Region 3 (Lower Hudson Valley) Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster and Westchester counties

Region 4 (Capital Region/Northern Catskills) Albany, Columbia, Delaware, Greene, Montgomery, Otsego, Rensselaer, Schenectady and Schoharie counties

Region 5 (Eastern Adirondacks/Lake Champlain) Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Saratoga, Warren and Washington counties

Region 6 (Western Adirondacks/Eastern Lake Ontario) Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida and St. Lawrence counties

Region 7 (Central New York) Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Tioga and Tompkins counties

Region 8 (Western Finger Lakes) Chemung, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne and Yates counties

Region 9 (Western New York) Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Niagara and Wyoming counties

NYSDEC Region 1 NYSDEC Region 2 NYSDEC Region 3 NYSDEC Region 4 NYSDEC Region 5 NYSDEC Region 6 NYSDEC Region 7 NYSDEC Region 8 NYSDEC Region 9

In DEC Regions 1-5, obtain more information concerning Corps of Engineers permits from:

New York District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Attn. Regulatory Branch
26 Federal Plaza
New York, NY 10278-0090

  • for DEC Regions 1, 2 and Westchester/Rockland Counties: (917) 790-8511
  • for DEC Region 3, except Westchester/Rockland Counties: (917) 790-8411

New York District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Albany Field Office
1 Bond Street
Troy, NY 12180
(518) 270-0589

  • for DEC Regions 4, 5

In DEC Regions 6-9, obtain more information concerning Corps of Engineers permits from:

Buffalo District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Attn. Regulatory Branch
1776 Niagara St.
Buffalo, NY 14207-3199
(716) 879-4330

New York State Department of State

If the wetland is located in a coastal area, and a federal approval is required, the federal agency must obtain a Coastal Consistency Certification from the New York State Department of State before it can give its approval. If such a certification is needed, you will be informed of this by the federal agency involved, usually the Corps of Engineers, who will need to make a State Coastal Consistency Certification a part of its permit decision. If a federal approval is not required, DEC will need to make a State Coastal Consistency Certification a part of its permit decision.

In New York, coastal areas include the Atlantic Ocean, Long Island Sound, Arthur Kill, Kill van Kull, Harlem River, East River, Hudson River south of the federal dam in Troy, Niagara River, St. Lawrence River, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, and all connecting water bodies, bays, harbors, shallows, and marshes.

This consistency program will also apply to some designated inland waterways in New York where local waterfront revitalization programs have been developed. Again, you will be informed if a certification must be prepared and whether any further information will be required from you.

New York State Office of General Services (OGS)

It is your responsibility to determine whether your project involves any New York State-owned underwater lands and to obtain necessary approvals or easements for their use from the New York State Office of General Services (OGS).

During review of your application, DEC will notify OGS of your project, if state owned underwater lands appear to be involved. For questions involving underwater properties owned by the state, contact:

Office of General Services, Division of Land Utilization
Bureau of Land Management, Corning Tower
Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12242
(518) 474-2195

Adirondack Park Agency

Freshwater wetlands located within the boundaries of the Adirondack Park are regulated by the Adirondack Park Agency (APA), not the DEC. Although the Freshwater Wetlands Act is applicable within the Park, Title 8 of the Act grants the administration of this program to the APA. Wetlands over one acre in size or any size wetland adjacent to open water are regulated within the Adirondack Park.

For questions involving freshwater wetlands in the Adirondack Park, contact:

Adirondack Park Agency
P.O. Box 99
Ray Brook, New York 12977
(518) 891-4050

Local Governments

Under the Wild, Scenic and Recreational Rivers Act, the Commissioner may delegate to a local government or group of local governments its powers , functions, and responsibilities, except review and determination of any application for a permit from a state agency , for administration of designated river areas as it deems proper upon determining that such local governments or group of local governments has adequate legal authority expertise, staff, funding and such other capabilities as the Commissioner may prescribe as necessary to fully carry out such powers, functions, and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the act

For questions of jurisdiction, check with the appropriate DEC Regional Office for the county where the wetland is located or with the local government. The Division of Environmental Permits staff can advise you of which agency has permit jurisdiction.

Finally, county, city, town or village building permits, flood plain permits, or other approvals may be necessary. You should check with the appropriate offices. You must inform DEC of any other local approvals needed for your project. This will enable a coordinated review among all involved agencies.

  • Contact for this Page
    Division of Environmental Permits
    4th Floor
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-1750

    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions