NY.gov Portal State Agency Listing Search all of NY.gov
D E C banner
D E C banner


The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

Protection of Waters: Jurisdictions of Other Agencies

You must notify DEC of any other state or local approvals needed for your project. This will enable a coordinated review among all involved agencies. These may include:

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

The Corps of Engineers regulates dredging, the discharge of dredged or fill material, and the construction of certain structures in waterways and wetlands. The Corps' jurisdiction now expands beyond those major waterways traditionally referred to as "Navigable Waters", therefore, when you propose activities in or adjacent to any waters or wetlands, contact the Army Corps of Engineers as well as the DEC.

The "Joint Application Form" (PDF, 543 KB) and instructions (PDF, 301 KB) helps applicants obtain a Corps of Engineers permit at the same time as the DEC permit. You must send the application form to both agencies.

Be Aware:

  • Being told that DEC will not require a permit for your project doesn't necessarily mean the Corps of Engineers won't require one. - You must contact the Corps to find out!
  • Likewise, obtaining a DEC permit doesn't relieve you from complying with federal law and with the regulations implemented by the United States Army Corps of Engineers. You bear the responsibility to inform them and ensure compliance.

DEC Regions and Corps of Engineers Jurisdiction

Region 1 Nassau and Suffolk counties

Region 2 Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens and Richmond counties

Region 3 Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster and Westchester counties

Region 4 Albany, Columbia, Delaware, Greene, Montgomery, Otsego, Rensselaer, Schenectady and Schoharie counties

Region 5 Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Saratoga, Warren and Washington counties

Region 6 Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida and St. Lawrence counties

Region 7 Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Tioga and Tompkins counties

Region 8 Chemung, Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne and Yates counties

Region 9 Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Niagara and Wyoming counties

NYSDEC Region 1 NYSDEC Region 2 NYSDEC Region 3 NYSDEC Region 4 NYSDEC Region 5 NYSDEC Region 6 NYSDEC Region 7 NYSDEC Region 8 NYSDEC Region 9

In DEC Regions 1-5, obtain more information concerning Corps of Engineers permits from:

New York District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Attn. Regulatory Branch
26 Federal Plaza
New York, NY 10278-0090

  • for DEC Regions 1, 2 and Westchester/Rockland Counties: (917) 790-8511
  • for DEC Region 3, except Westchester/Rockland Counties: (917) 790-8411

New York District, US Army Corps of Engineers
Upstate Regulatory Field Office
Attn: CENAN-OP-RU, Bldg. 10, 3rd Fl. North
1 Buffington Street
Watervliet, New York 12189-4000
(518) 266-6350/6360

  • for DEC Regions 4, 5

In DEC Regions 6-9, obtain more information concerning Corps of Engineers permits from:

Buffalo District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Attn: Regulatory Branch
1776 Niagara St.
Buffalo, NY 14207-3199
(716) 879-4330

New York State Department of State (DOS)

If the project is located in a coastal area and a federal approval is required, the federal agency must obtain a Coastal Consistency Certification from the New York State Department of State before it can give its approval. If this certification is needed, The federal agency which must make the Coastal Consistency Certification part of its permit decision, usually the Corps of Engineers, will so inform you.

In New York, coastal areas include:

  • the Atlantic Ocean,
  • Long Island Sound,
  • Arthur Kill,
  • Kill van Kull,
  • Harlem River,
  • East River,
  • Hudson River south of the Troy Dam
  • Niagara River,
  • St. Lawrence River,
  • Lake Ontario,
  • Lake Erie,
  • and all connecting water bodies, bays, harbors, shallows, and marshes.

This coastal consistency program also applies to some designated inland waterways in New York where local waterfront revitalization programs have been developed. Again, you will be informed if a certification must be prepared and whether any further information will be required from you.

For questions involving the coastal consistency program contact:

NYS Department of State
Coastal Management Program, Division of Coastal Resources
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Ave., Suite 1010
Albany, NY 12231
(518) 474-6000

New York State Office of General Services (OGS)

In most instances, the State of New York owns the land beneath coastal waters, and waters of large lakes and rivers. The New York State Office of General Services manages most underwater holdings. It is your responsibility to determine whether your project involves any New York State-owned underwater lands and to obtain necessary approvals or easements for their use from OGS.

During review of your application, DEC will notify OGS of your project if state-owned underwater lands appear to be involved.

For questions involving underwater properties owned by the state, contact:

NYS Office of General Services
Division of Land Utilization, Bureau of Land Management
Corning Tower Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12242
(518) 474-2195

New York State Canal Corporation

The Canal Corporation manages lands under and along the state's canals and canalized rivers (Erie, Champlain, Oswego and Cayuga and Seneca canals) and at 12 canal reservoirs (Canachaagala Lake, Chub Pond, Delta Reservoir, Forestport Pond, Hinckley Reservoir, Kayuta Lake, Leland Pond, North Lake, Sand Lake, South Lake, Twin Ponds, Woodhull Lake). Activities undertaken in and along these waterways and water bodies may require approval from the Canal Corporation.

For information on the Canal Corporations' permit requirements, you may write or call their offices:

For projects on or along: Champlain Canal; Erie Canal to the Montgomery/Herkimer county line


Canal Corporation,
Albany Division
Interchange 23, Route 9W
Albany, NY 12209-2098
(518) 471-5033

For projects on or along: Erie Canal from the Montgomery/Herkimer county line to the Wayne/Monroe county line; Oswego, Cayuga or Seneca Canals; Canal Corp. Reservoirs

Canal Corporation
Syracuse Division
6712 Brooklawn Parkway
Syracuse, NY 13211-2158
(315) 438-2303

For projects on or along: Erie Canal west of the Wayne/Monroe county line


Canal Corporation
Buffalo Division
3901 Genesee Street
Cheektowaga, NY 14225-1901
(716) 635-6250

New York Power Authority (NYPA)

The New York Power Authority regulates shore development along the St. Lawrence River and its tributaries in the St. Lawrence County towns of Massena, Lisbon, Louisville, and Waddington. Inquiries relating to the NYPA's jurisdiction should be to:

New York Power Authority
PO Box 700
Massena, NY 13662
(315) 764-0226

Adirondack Park Agency (APA)

If the project you are planning is located within the boundaries of the Adirondack Park, a permit may be required from the Adirondack Park Agency for a Freshwater Wetlands Permit or for approval of a new land use and development or subdivision, or for a variance from the shoreline standards of the Agency. Inquiries relating to the APA's jurisdiction should be made directly to the APA at its headquarters:

Adirondack Park Agency
P. O. Box 99
Ray Brook, New York 12977
(518) 891-4050

New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP)

The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation has jurisdiction over floating objects in navigable waters of the state, outside the Adirondack and Catskill Parks. For information on permit requirements, contact:

New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
Bureau of Marine & Recreational Vehicles
Empire State Plaza, Building 1
Albany, NY 12238
(518) 474-0445

Lake George Park Commission

If the project you are planning is located within the Lake George Park, a permit may also be required from the Lake George Park Commission for docks, wharves and moorings; excavation/fill below the mean high water level; or storm water management. For information on the Lake George Park Commission permit requirements, contact:

Lake George Park Commission
PO Box 749, Fort George Road
Lake George, New York 12845-0749
(518) 668-9347

Hudson River - Black River Regulating District

The Hudson River-Black River Regulating District regulates development near the Great Sacandaga Reservoir. For further information, contact:

Hudson River-Black River Regulating District
350 Northern Blvd.
Albany, NY 12204
(518) 465-3491

New York City Department of Environmental Protection (NYC DEP)

The New York City Department of Environmental Protection regulates stream and wetland crossing, sewage treatment, and storm water management projects within New York City's upstate watershed systems:

  • the Croton system, east of the Hudson River in Dutchess, Putnam, and Westchester counties, and
  • the Catskill/Delaware system, west of the Hudson River in Delaware, Greene, Schoharie, Sullivan, and Ulster counties.

For information on the New York City Department of Environmental Protection permit requirements, contact:

For areas East of the Hudson River:

New York City Department of Environmental Protection
Deputy Chief, Engineering Section
465 Columbus Avenue
Valhalla, NY 10595
(914) 773-4418

For areas West of Hudson River:

New York City Department of Environmental Protection
Deputy Chief, Engineering Section
P.O. Box 370
Shokan, NY 12481
(914) 657-6972

Local Governments

Finally, county, city, town or village building permits, flood plain permits or other approvals may be necessary. You should check with the appropriate offices.

  • Contact for this Page
    Division of Environmental Permits
    4th Floor
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-1750
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions