NY.gov Portal State Agency Listing Search all of NY.gov
D E C banner
D E C banner


The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

SPDES Permit Program: Transferring Your SPDES Permit

The Department treats TRANSFERS of ownership and NAME CHANGES as modifications.

Permit transfers or name changes which do not involve other changes only require submission of an "Application for Permit Transfer" Form. These are available from our website or at DEC regional offices.

Our regulations [6 NYCRR 750-1.17 and 621.11(c)] require that you notify DEC of permit transfer 30 days (1 month) prior to transfer of the permit. If, however, there will be any changes such as those listed in the Permit Modifications section, a permit transfer requires more than just the transfer form and additional time for Department review. Therefore, information in these cases should be submitted 180 days (6 months) prior to transfer of the permit. Please refer to the Permit Modifications section above for information on what must be submitted in these cases.

Transfer requirements apply as follows:

  1. If you acquire an existing facility which has a SPDES permit under the name of the previous owner, you MUST APPLY FOR A TRANSFER of this permit to your name to operate the wastewater disposal system legally.
  2. If you sell your facility to a new owner and you held a valid SPDES permit, you must sign a statement agreeing to transfer the SPDES permit to the new owner. The new owner should be aware of all the conditions of the permit and should understand what the legal requirements are.
  3. If you change the name or official address of the company or facility you must notify the DEC of this change. This will facilitate correspondence, prevent misrouted information, and ensure timely notification for renewals. The same DEC transfer form may be used. and should be sent to the appropriate Regional Permit Administrator.

In any transfer request. be sure to include your previous DEC permit number and your SPDES number (eg. NY-100001) in your correspondence.

  • Contact for this Page
    Division of Environmental Permits
    4th Floor
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-1750
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions