SPDES Permit Program: Permit Modifications (SPDES)
Requests for permit MODIFICATION must be submitted by the permittee for facility modifications or expansions, process modifications, or production modifications. Typical modifications are listed below:
- Any increase in the volume of the wastewater.
- Any change in the limitations on the contaminants in the wastewater effluent.
- Any change in the location of the discharge point.
- Any change from a discharge underground to a surface discharge. or from a surface discharge to an underground disposal.
- Any change in the type of treatment of the wastewater.
A request for any of these modifications must include an application form, an Environmental Assessment Form (EAF), and the appropriate fee. In addition, new plans must accompany requests for the modifications described in items 3, 4. and 5 above.
NOTE: Be Sure to include your previous DEC permit number and your SPDES number (eg. NY-100001) in your correspondence.
You may submit a written request for any modifications of your permit at any time. Requests for modifications may take several months to process. therefore any request for changes should be submitted as early as possible. In most cases. modification requests submitted within 6 months (180 days) of an existing permit's expiration date will be combined with your renewal application for processing.
Contact your regional Division of Environmental Permits staff if you have questions concerning your particular modification.
Submissions of renewals are also due 6 months before permit expiration. For more information see renewals.