What is An Environmental Impact Statement?
An Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) concisely describes and analyzes a proposed action which may have a significant impact on the environment. The EIS is available to the public for information and comment. An EIS must include:
- description of the action, including its need and benefits;
- description of the environmental setting and areas to be affected;
- an analysis of all environmental impacts related to the action;
- an analysis of reasonable alternatives to the action;
- identification of ways to reduce or avoid adverse environmental impacts.
Type I actions and Unlisted Actions may require preparation of an Environmental Impact Statement.
For more information see Step 5 of "Follow the SEQR Path,"