Buy a Sporting License
From the options listed below, you can:
- Purchase hunting, trapping and fishing licenses
- Apply for deer management permits (DMPs)
- Register for recreational marine fishing
- Donate to habitat/access stamps and other donation sources
WARNING: Before purchasing a sporting license online or by phone, please be aware of the following:
Allow 14 business days to receive your license or tags by mail. Your receipt cannot be used in place of your hunting or trapping license and carcass tag(s), but can be used for freshwater and saltwater fishing. For additional information, view the details on this page.
Call 1-86-NY-DECALS (1-866-933-2257)
At most town clerks' offices and many sporting goods stores. Find where to buy a license near you with DEC's Google Maps data for the following regions (These links leave DEC's website):
- Eastern and Southern New York (DEC Regions 1-4)
- Northern New York (DEC Regions 5-6)
- Western New York (DEC Regions 7-9)
*Online and Phone Purchases
- You cannot make a purchase online or by phone if:
- You are a resident without a valid New York State driver's license.
- You are applying for a reduced fee license as a veteran with service-related disability of 40% or more.
- You are applying for a free license as an active duty military member under the Patriot Plan.
- You are a first-time hunter or trapper applying for a hunting or trapping license.
- Allow for 14 business days to receive your license or tags by mail
- For hunting and trapping: the receipt of purchase is NOT valid proof to perform hunting and trapping activities. You must wait to receive your license in the mail before going hunting or trapping. To receive your license immediately, you will need to purchase your license in person at a license issuing agent.
- For freshwater and saltwater fishing: the receipt can be printed and used as valid proof to perform fishing activities until you receive your license in the mail.
- A parent or legal guardian must assist a child under 16 years old with online and phone purchases to validate information at checkout.
Documents Required for Purchase
To ensure your transaction runs smoothly, please have the appropriate documents as specified below.
(Please note: you cannot make a purchase online or by phone without a NYS driver's license or if you are a first-time hunter or trapper):
- For Current License Holders - DEC Customer ID Number found on your previous license, carcass tag or back tag.
- For First-time Hunters and Trappers - Appropriate sportsman education certificate
- For New York State Residents - One of the following proofs of residency
- NYS drivers license
- NYS non-drivers identification from DMV
- Current NYS vehicle registration
- IT-201 OR W-2 income tax form from the previous year
- Current voter registration card
- Current Student ID card
- Military LES (Leave and Earnings Statement) OR military orders
- Current pay stub OR note on letterhead from a current employer verifying your legal address
License Types and Fees
Deer Management Permits (DMPs)
Note: Your chances of receiving a DMP are the same throughout the entire application period, which runs from August 13 through October 1, 2012.
- Applications are due by October 1 each year.
- Must be 14 years or older and have a valid regular big game hunting license.
- Hunters can apply for up to two DMPs with the same WMU or two different WMUs (Identify Wildlife Management Units (WMU) near you).
- For more details, visit the Deer Management Permits page.
Valid Dates of Licenses, Permits and Registration
- October 1 - September 30 for freshwater fishing, hunting and trapping licenses and deer management permits.
- January 1 - December 31 for saltwater/marine recreational fishing registry.
Address changes can be made online when you are purchasing or renewing your license. If you need to change your address at any other time, email us to submit address changes. You MUST include your full name, date of birth, Customer ID number, new address and telephone number. Lifetime Licensees should submit address changes by June 1 to ensure that your license arrives on time.
Surveying License Holders
Periodically, DEC or its designated agent(s) may contact license-holders to conduct surveys and research involving New York State fish and wildlife. The information obtained will provide public input on fish and wildlife management actions and human interactions with New York's fish and wildlife resources.