Buy a Sporting License
(See the WARNING message below before making an online purchase)
Go to DEC's Automated Licensing System (DECALS)
(See the WARNING message below before making a phone purchase)
Call 1-86-NY-DECALS (1-866-933-2257)
Find a license sales agent located near you by using the links below. Most town clerk's, sporting good stores or DEC offices sell licenses.
(The following links leave DEC's website to a Google Map application):
- Eastern and Southern New York (DEC Regions 1-4)
- Northern New York (DEC Regions 5-6)
- Western New York (DEC Regions 7-9)
*WARNING: Be aware of the following before making an online or phone purchase:
- You cannot make an online or phone purchase through the DEC automated licensing system (DECALS) if:
- You are a resident without a valid New York State driver's license.
- You are applying for a reduced fee license as a veteran with service-related disability of 40% or more.
- You are applying for a free license as an active duty military member under the Patriot Plan.
- You are a first-time hunter or trapper applying for a hunting or trapping license.
- Allow for 14 business days to receive your license or tags by mail
- For hunting and trapping: the receipt of purchase is NOT valid proof to perform hunting and trapping activities. You must wait to receive your license in the mail before going hunting or trapping. To receive your license immediately, you will need to purchase your license in person at a license issuing agent.
- For freshwater and saltwater fishing: the receipt can be printed and used as valid proof to perform fishing activities until you receive your license in the mail.
- A parent or legal guardian must assist a child under 16 years old with online and phone purchases to validate information at checkout.
Documents Required for Purchase
To ensure your transaction runs smoothly, please have the appropriate documents as specified below:
- Current License Holders - DEC Customer ID Number found on your previous license, carcass tag or back tag.
- First-time Hunters and Trappers - Appropriate sportsman education certificate
- New York State Residents - One of the following proofs of residency
- NYS drivers license
- NYS non-drivers identification from DMV
- Current NYS vehicle registration
- IT-201 OR W-2 income tax form from the previous year
- Current voter registration card
- Current Student ID card
- Military LES (Leave and Earnings Statement) OR military orders
- Current pay stub OR note on letterhead from a current employer verifying your legal address
Deer Management Permits (DMPs)
You can apply for a DMP online, by phone or in-person through DEC's automated licensing system (DECALS) as noted at the top of this page. For details on the application process, the chances of selection and more, visit the Deer Management Permits page.
License Types and Fees
Valid Dates of Licenses, Permits and Registration
- October 1 - September 30 for freshwater fishing, hunting and trapping licenses and deer management permits.
- January 1 - December 31 for saltwater/marine recreational fishing registry.
Address changes can be made online when you are purchasing or renewing your license. If you need to change your address at any other time, email us to submit address changes. You MUST include your full name, date of birth, Customer ID number, new address and telephone number. Lifetime Licensees should submit address changes by June 1 to ensure that your license arrives on time.
Surveying License Holders
Periodically, DEC or its designated agent(s) may contact license-holders to conduct surveys and research involving New York State fish and wildlife. The information obtained will provide public input on fish and wildlife management actions and human interactions with New York's fish and wildlife resources.