D E C banner
D E C banner


The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has added a link to a translation service developed by Microsoft Inc., entitled Bing Translator, as a convenience to visitors to the DEC website who speak languages other than English.

Additional information can be found at DEC's Language Assistance Page.

Trapping Licenses

Trapper Safety Education Requirement

All first-time trappers must pass a trapper education course before they can get a trapping license in New York. Visit the Sportsman Education page for more information and to find a trapper education course near you.

Purchase Your Trapping License

Types and Fees

Annual Trapping License (View residency qualifications)

License Type Resident Fee Nonresident Fee
valid from September 1 through
August 31 each year
$20 (ages 16-69)
$5 (ages 70+)
$5 (ages 12-15)
$275 (16+)
$5 (ages 12-15)

Free/Reduced Fee & Lifetime Licenses

Who Needs a Trapping License

You need a trapping license if you are:

  • 12 years and older and setting traps to take wild game species.
  • Setting traps to take the following species damaging property: beaver, otter, fisher and marten. Visit the
    Remove or "Take" Nuisance Animals Legally page for more details.

You do not need a trapping license if you are:

  • A resident landowner primarily engaged in farming (including lessees and members of their immediate families) when trapping on farm lands they are occupying and cultivating.
  • A Native American living and trapping game on reservation land.

General License Information

Other Helpful Links/Resources

More about trapping in New York State

  • Important Links
  • Contact for this Page
    Fish, Wildlife & Marine Resources
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-4750
    Send us an email
  • This Page Covers
  • Page applies to all NYS regions