Trapper Safety Education Requirement
All first-time trappers must pass a trapper education course before they can get a trapping license in New York. Visit the Sportsman Education page for more information and to find a trapper education course near you.
Purchase Your Trapping License
Types and Fees
Annual Trapping License (View residency qualifications)
|License Type||Resident Fee||Nonresident Fee|
valid from September 1 through
August 31 each year
|$20 (ages 16-69)
$5 (ages 70+)
$5 (ages 12-15)
$5 (ages 12-15)
Free/Reduced Fee & Lifetime Licenses
- Free/Reduced Fee Licenses: You may qualify for a free/reduced fee annual trapping license if you are:
(For information on required documents and qualifications click the links below. In most instances, you must be a New York resident):
- Lifetime Licenses: Trap for life with a lifetime license! Available to residents only.
Who Needs a Trapping License
You need a trapping license if you are:
- 12 years and older and setting traps to take wild game species.
- Setting traps to take the following species damaging property: beaver, otter, fisher and marten. Visit the
Remove or "Take" Nuisance Animals Legally page for more details.
You do not need a trapping license if you are:
- A resident landowner primarily engaged in farming (including lessees and members of their immediate families) when trapping on farm lands they are occupying and cultivating.
- A Native American living and trapping game on reservation land.
General License Information
Other Helpful Links/Resources
- Trapping Seasons
- Trapping Regulations
- Access Permits: Some state and municipal lands require a special access permit for fishing, hunting and trapping. Details on how to get the permit can be found in the links below:
-> New York City Watershed Recreation Access Permit (External Link) (Issued by NYC DEP)
-> Long Island State Land Access Permit (Issued by DEC)