What is the Uniform Procedures Act?
The procedures for administering the Department of Environmental Conservation's key regulatory permits are standardized in the Uniform Procedures Act, Article 70 of the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL). The Act provides time frames and procedures for:
- filing and reviewing applications
- providing public notice
- holding public hearings
- reaching final decisions
The Act is intended to:
- ensure a fair, timely, thorough review
- eliminate inconsistent procedures
- encourage public participation
The Department's regulation for implementing UPA is 6 NYCRR Part 621, Uniform Procedures Regulations.
More about Environmental Permits:
- Uniform Procedures Act (UPA) Permit Profiles - Uniform Procedures Permit Profiles
- Getting an Environmental Permit - The framework for processing environmental protection permits is defined in Article 70 of the New York State Environmental Conservation Law, the Uniform Procedures Act (UPA).
- Application Forms for DEC Permits - Application forms for Uniform Procedures Act Permits
- Division of Environmental Permits Policy Documents - Policy Documents for the Division of Environmental Permits
- Guide to Permit Hearings - A permit hearing offers the public an opportunity to participate in DEC project review. This document gives an overview of the DEC permit hearing process.
- Guide to Permit Hearings in Spanish - Una audiencia para obtener permiso ofrece al público una oportunidad de participar en el análisis del proyecto de DEC. Este documento ofrece una perspectiva general del proceso de audiencia de DEC para obtener un permiso.