What is the Uniform Procedures Act?
The procedures for administering the Department of Environmental Conservation's key regulatory permits are standardized in the Uniform Procedures Act, Article 70 of the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL). The Act provides time frames and procedures for:
- filing and reviewing applications
- providing public notice
- holding public hearings
- reaching final decisions
The Act is intended to:
- ensure a fair, timely, thorough review
- eliminate inconsistent procedures
- encourage public participation
The Department's regulation for implementing UPA is 6 NYCRR Part 621, Uniform Procedures Regulations.
Contact the appropriate Regional Permit Administrator for information on the following UPA permit programs. For other permits, contact the appropriate DEC division.
Do I need a Permit?
More information on many of Environmental Permits is provided via the links below.
Waterways, Coastlines & Wetlands
For help in determining permitting requirements, the Department has developed the Environmental Resource Mapper (ERM). ERM can be used to locate both freshwater wetlands regulated by the State of New York, and New York State's classified streams and water bodies. ERM can also be used to create and print maps that can be submitted as part of the permit application process.
- Protection of Waters Permits, including:
- Disturbance of the Bed or Banks of a Protected Stream or Other Watercourse
- Construction, Reconstruction or Repair of Dams and Other Impoundment Structures
- Construction, Reconstruction or Expansion of Docking and Mooring Facilities
- Excavation or Placement of Fill in Navigable Waters and Their Adjacent and Contiguous Wetlands
- Water Quality Certification for Placing Fill or Undertaking Activities Resulting in a Discharge to Waters of the United States
- Coastal Erosion Management Permits
- Freshwater Wetlands Permits
- Tidal Wetlands Permits
- Wild, Scenic and Recreational Rivers Permits
Wastewater, Stormwater & Water Withdrawal
- State Pollution Discharge Elimination System (SPDES) Permits for wastewater discharges to surface and groundwaters
- Water Withdrawal Permits
- Long Island Well Permits
- Endangered/Threatened Species (Incidental Take)
- Floating objects in navigable waters within the Adirondack Park
More about Environmental Permits:
- Uniform Procedures Act (UPA) Permit Profiles - Uniform Procedures Permit Profiles
- Getting an Environmental Permit - The framework for processing environmental protection permits is defined in Article 70 of the New York State Environmental Conservation Law, the Uniform Procedures Act (UPA).
- Application Forms for DEC Permits - Application forms for Uniform Procedures Act Permits
- Division of Environmental Permits Policy Documents - Policy Documents for the Division of Environmental Permits
- Guide to Permit Hearings - A permit hearing offers the public an opportunity to participate in DEC project review. This document gives an overview of the DEC permit hearing process.
- Guide to Permit Hearings in Spanish - Una audiencia para obtener permiso ofrece al público una oportunidad de participar en el análisis del proyecto de DEC. Este documento ofrece una perspectiva general del proceso de audiencia de DEC para obtener un permiso.